Climate Science Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Sep 4, 2019 - Requisition No. 77088
Bloomberg is looking for a science reporter to expand our coverage of climate change. The successful candidate will write about the latest research on climate change from the world's leading researchers and policy circles, including the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. The reporter should have a strong familiarity with the scientific press and be able to spot and explain significant findings across relevant disciplines, including climate sensitivity, the pace of sea-level rise, damage impact estimates and projections of the rate of warming.
Climate risk is a topic of growing importance to our business-minded readers, and our science writer will help bring those to life for them. In a newsroom that prides itself on authoritative use of data, the science reporter will work in close collaboration with dataviz colleagues to produce innovative visualizations of climate research. This reporter should be equally comfortable pitching profiles of scientists and sweeping data-driven projects that assess the risks of coastal flooding while also responding to breaking climate news with smart context and analysis.
We’ll need the science reporter to:
- Take responsibility for covering climate science as a news-making beat, within a newsroom that prides itself on speed.
- Be a team player who can initiate and execute joint reporting projects with writers and editors who cover industry or financial beats.
- Think creatively about digital and feature storytelling approaches.
- Share in the production of a weekly email on climate science.
- Uphold a commitment to the best journalistic practices, sound judgement and a willingness to learn.
You’ll need to have:
- Minimum of three years writing about science, with preference given to those with experience covering climate.
- Ability to work in an energetic, dynamic, and fast-paced environment.
- Desire to work across the newsroom and various beats to tell stories.
- Curiosity – and a proactive approach to learning.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in Finance, Economics, Journalism or related field.
We’d love to see:
- A demonstrated ability to take data-driven approaches to journalism.
- Familiarity with journalism across platforms, including digital, video and podcasts.
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.