System Reliability Engineer (SRE) – Bloomberg Index Services Limited
Posted Nov 4, 2019 - Requisition No. 77103
Bloomberg is building the world’s most trusted information network for financial professionals. Our core product, the Bloomberg Terminal, is an independent and unbiased source of information for our clients – everyone from C-Suite executives, traders, analysts, and government officials to business heavyweights and news professionals around the globe.
Who are we?
The Bloomberg Index Services Limited (BISL) SRE team is an integral part of a rapidly growing index business within Bloomberg. We are responsible for the smooth operation of a diverse range of systems serving world leading benchmark and tradable index products. These indices underpin many trillion of dollars of trades and assets under management, and hundreds of clients rely on them daily to inform critical business decisions. Given these dependencies we've recently started an SRE team to ensure the stability and reliability of this product.
Who are you?
An SRE with an aptitude for analytical and creative problem solving. You can dive into the detail of complex issues quickly, and you’re excited to harness the power of automation to manage the stability, availability, and scale of our incredibly complex technology infrastructure.
This is a great opportunity to come join a team of reliability engineers on the SRE journey. You will have the opportunity to make a positive mark early and continuously as you work closely with other engineers.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems with a diverse technology stack
- Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
- Quickly grow in your technical knowledge of the technology stack – across all the systems – which lie at the centre of our production environment
- Contribute to the work of the whole team, whether pair programming or peer reviewing or collaborating with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solution to their problem
- Be an enthusiastic agile practitioner, helping us to improve and refine our approach to ensure we deliver quality indices in a predictable manner
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of professional work experience one or more scripting languages (Python, Shell, or Bash)
- Working knowledge Windows Server & Linux operating system
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills for daily interaction with engineering and operations stakeholders
- Exposure to all phases of the software development lifecycle
- The ability to identify opportunities for automation, and develop and test a solution
We'd love to see:
- Experience with Chef or other configuration tools such as Puppet or Ansible
- A solid understanding of object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms
- Experience working on diverse and complex software systems
- Experience building monitoring systems and bringing transparency to running systems
- A desire to learn new technologies and apply them where appropriate to improve the quality of our software and processes
Learn how Bloomberg bets big on our SREs -> https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
How we outsmart outages -> bit.ly/SRE_BBG
Check out Bloomberg Engineering -> www.bloomberg.com/engineering
Read about the unique problems we’re solving -> TechAtBloomberg.com
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we are a good match! We will get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
Bloomberg is a financial technology company. Our technology drives the world’s leading financial market participants. Our strength – delivering data, news and analytics through innovative technology, quickly and accurately – is at the core of the Bloomberg Professional service, which provides real time financial information to more than 310,000 subscribers globally. Bloomberg has one of the largest private networks in the world, and we process billions and billions of data from all over the globe.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.