Senior Software Engineer/SRE - Kubernetes for Advanced Compute
New York, NY
Posted Mar 5, 2021 - Requisition No. 78239
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We've surpassed petabytes of data, with no end in sight.
We provide the infrastructure that supports core data services including Bloomberg’s data science and machine learning platform, search infrastructure, and various others. Our challenges span both software and hardware and the scale we work on is massive.
Our team is trusted to build the systems that run our newest cutting edge platforms. We’re depended upon to manage the configuration, deployment, and operation of the systems that power the data backend of Bloomberg. On our team, you’ll have the ability to truly innovate and invent, helping define the technical foundations of groundbreaking systems. Built with containerization and kubernetes on top of leading-edge hardware, including GPU's and DNN-specific hardware, we’ve built systems that rival super-computing platforms across the world.
We’ll trust you to:
- Design, build, and automate new solutions centered around the Kubernetes container orchestration platform and its ecosystem of projects
- Be responsible for solutions which maintain configuration and robustness of systems
- Analyze performance, metric placement and interpretation, and capacity planning
- Troubleshoot and debug runtime issues with software and hardware
- OS and hardware level optimizations
- Interaction with platform developers to understand and validate their workflows, requirements, application performance, and application resilience
What’s in it for you:
- An opportunity to make key technical decisions which help define the future of data and analytics infrastructure platforms
- The chance to apply your existing experience while gaining cutting edge new experience in kubernetes, containerization, GPU's, Data Science, and distributed database systems
- Your solutions will drive new functionality within the Bloomberg Terminal and other client interfaces -- direct drivers of financial decisions around the world
You need to have:
- 2+ years systems configuration and automation experience (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet, SaltStack -- error handling, idempotency, configuration management)
- 2+ years Linux systems experience (Ubuntu, Debian experience preferred, ideally conversant in Unix networking and C system calls)
- Proven experience in a programming and/or scripting language (e.g. python, go, java, ruby)
- A strong familiarity with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment methodologies, chat-ops, etc.
- Proven experience building and scaling out mission-critical, elastic load distributed, and high throughput syst
We’d love to see:
- Experience with networking is a plus (e.g. packet analysis, routing protocols).
- Open source experience is a plus (a well curated blog, upstream accepted contribution or community presence)
How we give back:
This new team will make extensive use of Open Source Software. As part of that, we make a commitment to upstreaming features we'll be developing within Kubernetes and its ecosystem. Whether pushing bug-fixes upstream, developing new features, giving presentations at conferences/meetups or collaborating with industry leaders open source will be at the heart of this new team. It's not just something we do in our free time -- it is how we work.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org