Managing Editor - Canada
Posted Nov 6, 2019 - Requisition No. 79426
Canada features the second-biggest land mass worldwide and the third-largest oil reserves. Its $1 trillion pension fund industry rivals Norway's sovereign wealth fund, and its tech industry is booming as the country takes in the most immigrants since World War I.
Such superlatives are just part of the draw.
It's an enterprising place for an energetic managing editor to lead a team of 24 editors and reporters on a mission to break news and elevate coverage of Canada after an election that's left Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's party challenged now more than ever.
We're looking for someone who can bring a fresh eye to the region, which is among our fastest-growing. The person will further elevate coverage on everything from Canadian banks and pensions to its tech industry, energy, and real estate sectors. They'll collaborate with our economic and government teams and take advantage of our data visualization and terminal resources.
He or she will put sourcing and exclusive news first, and will be expected to unite reporting teams and editors across five bureaus, as well as make use of Bloomberg's extensive global network of multimedia, news desk, magazine, as well our BNN joint venture in Canada to make our coverage more visible both inside and outside Bloomberg.
We’ll trust you to:
- Have a strong sense of urgency for breaking news.
- Produce meaningful analysis and insightful stories off of news – connecting the dots and underscoring the impact for readers.
- Understand the global editorial agenda and prioritize coverage accordingly.
- Ensure the highest quality stories are pitched, and produced across all media platforms.
- Build influential relationships with editorial leaders globally across Markets, Business, Economics and Government.
- Demonstrate superior writing and editing skills.
- Be a thoughtful, accountable and dedicated leader, someone with vision and know-how, determined to elevate and expand our coverage.
You’ll need to have:
- Sharply honed writing and editing skills.
- Excellent ability to communicate across silos and regions.
- Keen interest in innovation, and an unwavering commitment to accuracy.
- Leadership presence that brings people and ideas together to produce meaningful results.
- Demonstrated cross-platform storytelling abilities.
- Ability to remain stoic and demonstrate sound judgement in our fast-paced and dynamic news environment.
If this sounds like a role for you, please raise your hand and share your vision.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.