Breaking News Editor (Arabic Speaker)
New York, NY
Posted Feb 27, 2020 - Requisition No. 81562
You're a news junkie who loves breaking news. You embrace challenge, have solid judgment, can make split-second decisions, and are curious about a wide range of topics. You work well with both people and technology, and thrive in a high-pressure, real-time environment. You understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and you can separate the wheat from the chaff on social media.
While participating in U.S. coverage, you will also monitor developments in Middle Eastern news from Arabic-language sources during U.S. work hours. You will coordinate with Bloomberg colleagues in Dubai, Riyadh and elsewhere across the Mideast to ensure we are first in delivering relevant news from that region. This includes news on companies, the energy industry, and geopolitical events with global repercussions.
Our team is lightning fast, innovative and uses our collective experience to anticipate where and how news will break next. Our mission is to deliver market-moving news to readers as quickly as possible. If that sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in the Americas.
We'll trust you to:
- Unearth news breaking on traditional and new-media sources
- Recognize news that is significant to the markets
- Make confident and informed decisions on Middle Eastern news based on an understanding of the intricacies of that region
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories that explain the `why' in addition to the `what'
- Collaborate with global bureaus and teams across Bloomberg to deliver this-just-in news across all platforms
- Utilize machine learning tools to ensure Bloomberg remains on the cusp of breaking news
- Provide on-the-spot decisions on topics including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other global events
You'll need to have:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- An understanding of global markets, economics, politics and finance
- The ability to write and edit clearly and quickly under deadline pressure
- A robust knowledge of social media and appreciation of how news breaks on various platforms
- Proficiency in reading Arabic and understanding the spoken language
We'd love to see:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.