Senior Software Engineer - Quant Developer Platform
San Francisco, CA
Posted Apr 17, 2020 - Requisition No. 82555
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets – and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
So where does BQuant fit in?
Finance is changing, and fast; new financial professionals are even learning python themselves. Here in our San Francisco office we’ve identified an opportunity to reach this tech savvy client base by building a product that opens our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers.
Gone are the days of downloading raw CSV files! The BQuant platform allows users to bring their algorithms to our data, not the other way around. Our service provides a unified environment where users can develop their code and test, share, and deploy it easily. Our impact? Providing the entire industry with tools that are currently only available to large banks and hedge funds, through customer deployed installations in enterprise environments.
What will you be building?
The BQuant Platform team owns our users’ development experience and development productivity on BQuant. We are responsible for their IDE, source code management, and collaboration, as well as tools to help them navigate learning resources, handle breaking changes in Python packages, and more. Our goal is to make our users as productive as possible as they learn how to interact with Bloomberg data and analytics in a much more powerful and flexible way than before.
BQuant is built on top of Project Jupyter, and Bloomberg has funded major initiatives in the Project Jupyter community, such as JupyterLab, Voilà (a Jupyter dashboarding solution), and a Jupyter debugger. Two of your teammates will be ACM Software System Award-winning Project Jupyter members!
As part of the team, we’ll trust you to:
- Build search capabilities for resource navigation, collaborative code editing capabilities, application deployment infrastructure, linting tools, and more
- Collaborate with other teams to seamlessly integrate advanced features into our users’ workflows, such as running remote machine learning jobs, Git integration, and interacting with custom data sets
- Develop and deploy robust software requiring minimal maintenance
- Think critically about how our users interact with the platform and how we can continue to improve and enrich their experience
You need to have:
- Experience with React, HTML, CSS, and other web frontend technologies
- Experience building and supporting production systems
- An understanding that software should be kept as simple as possible
We’d love to see:
- Experience building full-stack applications, including service APIs and database design
- Experience contributing to open-source projects
- An appreciation for how our data sets underpin the world's financial systems - if you don't know anything about finance, you'll pick it up by interacting with a world-class team of market experts.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.