South Africa Government Reporter - Johannesburg
Posted Apr 28, 2020 - Requisition No. 82687
Bloomberg News seeks an experienced, dynamic reporter to cover politics in South Africa. We are looking for a well-connected journalist who can break news on government policy and actions and help explain one of Africa's biggest economies to a global audience.
The successful candidate will have strong sources and a deep understanding of the South Africa story. They will explore a variety of policy issues and assess their effect on the government, economy, companies and financial markets. They will delve into the dynamics of the ruling alliance and other key political actors.
You'll be a strong collaborator who works with colleagues across sub-Saharan Africa and beyond, to join the dots on bigger stories and themes. You'll work well under pressure on a beat where major news can break suddenly.
The position is based in Johannesburg, with regular travel to Cape Town. You'll be expected to contribute to a variety of Bloomberg platforms including Quicktake, radio, TV and our Balance of Power newsletter.
We'll trust you to:
- Jump on big breaking news
- Deliver scoops and high-impact enterprise stories
You'll need to have:
- Fluent English; understanding of local languages would be an advantage
- Demonstrated knowledge of South African politics, including regional issues
- At least 5 years experience at a major news organization
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and makes sound news decisions quickly
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think you’re a good match and we’ll get in touch with you to let you know next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.