Senior Software Engineer (C++/Python) - Trade Ideas and Research Analytics
Posted May 21, 2020 - Requisition No. 83109
The Trade Ideas and Research Analytics (TIaRA) group is an integral part of Bloomberg’s Financial Research Products. Financial Research is a broad field that encompasses a number of workflows geared at leveraging qualitative and quantitative data to guide investment decisions. As an over-simplified analogy, the Financial Research workflow is akin to the process you might go through when deciding which set of headphones to purchase, except for Financial Products such as bonds or stock. Our group focuses on connecting our Buy Side and Sell Side clients to facilitate improved Research creation, consumption, and management workflows.
We are fortunate to have the opportunity to work with a wide range of languages and technologies. The main programming languages we use are C++, Python, and TypeScript. Other technologies include Apache SOLR, Kafka, RabbitMQ, relational databases, Docker, and Redis. Our philosophy is to leverage the technology that will help us solve the problem at hand in the most efficient and extendable manner. This gives us ample opportunity for exploration of new technologies.
What’s in it for you?
- You will work with a management team who is fully committed to helping you grow and achieve your career goals
- You will work on a modern technology stack with a balanced mix between open source and Bloomberg technologies
- An inclusive environment where Engineers of all backgrounds can thrive
As a member of our agile team, we'll trust you to:
- Learn a new product domain and technical system, and contribute client-facing features
- Deliver high quality and robust technical solutions, adhering to our high standards of latency, stability, and availability
- Work closely with stakeholders to translate product feature requirements into technical solutions
- Drive innovation; proactively identify and promote both software and product delivery (Agile) best practices
You will need to have:
- C++ or Python software development experience
- Development experience on UNIX or Linux Operating systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- Strong enthusiasm for code quality, and desire to build long-standing and stable systems
- Strong communication skills, both technical and otherwise, that can be leveraged to collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders
We operate as three separate teams but work in close collaboration with each other and the broader Research Engineering and Product teams. Our hiring process will be conducted as a group, but if hired we will match you with one of the three teams based on your interests and skill-set.
The Trade Ideas Product is a leading research and investment platform used by high-profile customers. It can be used by analysts to exchange investment ideas and recommendations. Our system allows them to accurately specify when a given stock should be bought or sold. It tracks the performance of the different ideas by looking at real-time events that are happening in financial markets. The better the stock pick ideas of an individual are, the more they will get paid by the consumers of the ideas. This makes the accuracy of the performance calculations a very important focus for the team.
The Research Analytics Product suite gives our Buy Side (consumers) and Sell Side (providers) clients the ability to manage and calibrate Research consumption data. The ultimate benefit to our Buy Side clients is the ability to methodically price the Research they consume, and thus make better decisions in allocating their research budgets. Our Sell Side clients can ensure they are getting paid adequately, as well as gather insights into the strength of their Research coverage. Our Product relies on an extensive data-set that we capture using an ingestion pipeline that processes upwards of a million events a day.
If this sounds like you, please apply!
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.