Site Reliability Engineering - Compliance
New York, NY
Posted Sep 22, 2020 - Requisition No. 85850
Who are we?
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
That’s where Bloomberg Compliance comes in. Comprised of Bloomberg Vault Archive and Bloomberg Surveillance, Bloomberg Vault provides a single platform for compliant storage and reconstruction of our customer’s communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data. More than 1,000 organizations use Bloomberg Vault to manage and archive their enterprise communications and collaboration data, including email, instant message (IM), mobile, files, trade and documents, voice data and social media. Our multi-tenant cloud processes 300 million messages daily and stores about 90 billion archived objects, and we are looking to grow significantly in the next two years.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Bloomberg uses both software and system engineering to build and reliable run our production systems. SRE ensures our services are meeting our user's expectations and rely on automation to enable quick and continuous improvements. Creating a world class production system will require advanced engineering enabled by orchestration, capacity planning, observability, and automated deployment pipelines. Most of our software development is focused on eliminating work through automation, optimizing existing systems, and building the analytics tools.
On the SRE team you'll have the opportunity to work on diverse challenges that will require your expertise in coding, complexity analysis and system design. We look for people with a wide variety of background, experiences and perspectives. We encourage collaboration and risk taking through big ideas in a blame-free environment. We strive to create an environment that provides the support and mentoring needed to learn from each other and help us grow.
Who are you?
Your intellectual curiosity and desire to solve problems drives you to continue making things better and simpler. You enjoy working across many different domains of software and system engineering. You get excited about the opportunity to dive into complex issues and collaborating with the team for appropriate solutions.
We'll trust you to:
- Define, track and help improve the customer experience in terms of reliability, performance and accuracy.
- Work with component teams to improve the lifecycle of services, including design, deployment, operation, launch reviews and chaos testing.
- Use automation to improve production systems, including scaling, analysis, automated incident response and removing manual operations.
- Create tools to improve the observability and understanding of our systems and processes.
- Promote changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- Help with incident response and guide blameless postmortems.
- 3+ years of experience programming in at least one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Go, Java, C++, Typescript
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field with good knowledge of data structures and algorithms
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting distributed systems.
- Passion and experience in automating everything.
- Systematic problem solving with effective communication.
- Understanding of Linux or Unix Operating Systems.
- Experience building production systems on public cloud e.g. AWS, Azure, Google cloud
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Learn how Bloomberg bets big on our SREs: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/blog/bloomberg-bets-big-on-sres/
- How we outsmart outages: bit.ly/SRE_BBG
- Check out Bloomberg Engineering: https://www.bloomberg.com/engineering
- Read about the unique problems we’re solving: https://www.techatbloomberg.com/