BloombergNEF Gas Analyst
Posted Dec 15, 2020 - Requisition No. 87731
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our analysis team. The team produces insights on the interaction between physical fundamentals, real-world economic decision making and traded market pricing. You are one of those people who have a passion for energy markets, and you want to be at the forefront of this exciting industry. You naturally form original opinions, and you have an exceptional ability to communicate these to your audience. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is a strategic research provider covering global commodity markets and the disruptive technologies driving the transition to a low-carbon economy. Our expert coverage assesses pathways for the power, transport, industry, buildings and agriculture sectors to adapt to the energy transition. We help commodity trading, corporate strategy, finance and policy professionals navigate change and generate opportunities.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com/ or request more information.
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What's the role?
- Together with other team members, identify topics of interest to clients, conduct research, and report on the findings in a timely manner
- Analyse and forecast supply, demand and prices for the European gas and global LNG markets
- Develop and implement market leading forecasts and tools
- Develop innovative methodologies to enable successful fundamental modelling
- Promote a high degree of knowledge leadership in the market
- Clearly communicate research to clients and prospects including presenting at conferences
- Develop a network of contacts in the industry and promote/represent BNEF across a wide variety of senior stakeholders
We'll trust you to:
- Develop your expertise on the European gas market, working as an analyst within the London team as well as develop your expertise in the global LNG market by working together with colleagues in other offices
- Develop models and conceptual frameworks to further our clients understanding of short- and medium- term fundamental dynamics and economic decision making in the market
- Deliver both quantitative and qualitative research, using and enhancing our databases and modelling tools to develop high quality research reports and information useful to our industry-wide client base
- Effectively communicate views and findings on gas market developments to clients
- Collaborate effectively within Bloomberg NEF on cross-specialism themes that impact the European gas market – geopolitical, regulatory and policy developments, the energy transition in the power sector and the evolving global LNG market. Support annual flagship BNEF publications
You'll need to have:
- At least a bachelors degree in a quantitative subject
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences
- Rigorous attention to detail and a commitment to high quality work
- Understanding of the gas, power or LNG markets and experience as an analyst within an energy, consulting or information services, investment or financial services organization
- A track record of thinking critically and developing well-structured and thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, extracting key patterns, applying scepticism to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions
- Strong communication skills in English: writing (for research reports), reading (to conduct research) and speaking (for presentations at conferences, to clients, or to the media)
- Ability to act as a thought-leader and self-starter, have a high work-rate, able to work on parallel tasks
- Confidence conducting research calls and communicating with senior industry contacts and academics
- Strong quantitative skills; comfortable with large datasets and complex models
- Experience in statistical and fundamental modelling
- Advanced skills in Excel
We'd love to see:
- Experience with programming languages such as VBA, R, Matlab, Python or use of statistical computing packages
- Professional experience in the commodities, oil and gas or finance industries
- Post-graduate qualifications in sciences, engineering, business or economics
If this sounds like you:
Apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org