Senior Software Engineer - Data Technologies
Posted Jun 9, 2021 - Requisition No. 87737
Who are we?
Bloomberg serves billions of data points over the Bloomberg Terminal each day. This data comes from various sources all over the globe. Our department is responsible for providing the infrastructure necessary to get all of this data from the outside world into Bloomberg. By joining Data Technologies, you will help improve the service to our clients across all of Bloomberg's products.
Data quality is critical to our success. Data accuracy, timeliness, and coverage are more important than ever as our clients look to automate their insights and decisions. As an engineer on the Data Technologies Quality team, you will be responsible for the platforms and tools we create to ensure our data quality is best in class. We are a technically diverse group solving a number of challenging problems in very different ways and pride ourselves on our intellectual curiosity and the quality of our systems. Our services leverage leading big data technologies such as Hive and Spark as well as our department's scalable micro-service platform and bitemporal database solution
What's in it for you?
You will be at the forefront of a change in the way Bloomberg detects and measures quality across all products. In this particular role, you will focus on enhancing our accuracy detection system. You will also be tasked with developing a coordinated quality metrics platform. We are aiming to put forth an entire quality ecosystem and need talented engineers to understand the full scope of what we, as a business, are trying to achieve. Creative solutions are a must as we tie error detection, metric reporting, and algorithm feedback together. There will be plenty of opportunity to design and build out new exciting functionality and drive the direction of the platform.
In addition, we'll trust you to:
- Understand the business challenges Bloomberg faces in terms of large scale data ingestion, validation, and remediation
- Take full ownership of products and technical solutions
- Collaborate directly with our product counterparts to capture requirements and iterate on projects
- Design, develop, and release high-quality maintainable code
- Work on multiple initiatives in a fast-paced environment
- Be able to excel in collaborative agile processes
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years of hands on Python programming experience
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, design patterns, and parallelism
- Experience designing distributed systems that are resistant to outages and failures
- An understanding of continuous integration principles and writing testable code
- Familiarity using Linux/Unix based operating systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- History of developing and integrating micro-services
- Experience with Hive, Spark, and other big data frameworks
- Previous usage of other programming languages like Java or C++
- Kept up to date with latest Python packaging standards
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.