Senior Software Engineer - Media Data Science
New York, NY
Posted Dec 24, 2020 - Requisition No. 87941
Bloomberg Media supplies global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform. We have over 80 million unique visitors a month across every time zone! To meet the demands, our products require scalable and performant data services to deliver the best content and experiences to our users.
The Media Data Science team provides data services and AI for the media organization. We are responsible for analyzing click-stream data on Bloomberg's web and mobile applications, while also providing personalized news recommendations to hundreds of millions of users. To increase our subscriptions, we use predictive analytics and user behavior modeling.
We constantly collaborate with media teams to integrate our models and insights to increase customer engagement and subscriptions via A/B testing and data-driven decisions.
What's in it for you?
As a member of the team, you will work closely with a wide range of partners such as Product, Editorial, Ad Operations, Marketing, and other engineering teams. In collaboration with these teams, you will design and implement products and application features to optimize for key metrics such as content engagement, subscription conversions, and Ad engagement.
We work collaboratively with our stakeholders to identify key business problems and areas of growth, so we can build innovative and data driven products/applications to solve them. We are looking for someone to build, maintain, and expand the features of real-time APIs that leverage Kubernetes and AWS to provide other application teams the data needed to deliver engaging user experiences.
Additionally, as the owner of applications that deliver key data and insights to different teams in Bloomberg Media, you'll play a central role in empowering other teams. This dynamic will provide you with opportunities to grow your network within the organization.
We'll trust you to:
- Architect, implement, expand, and maintain the features of real-time APIs
- Manage and expand multiple DR-compliant software architectures and stateful applications, adhering to strict requirements concerning performance, stability, and availability
- Contribute to the design, implementation, and deployment of Machine Learning and/or optimization models in production
- Prototype new approaches and production-ize solutions at scale for Bloomberg media’s hundreds of millions of users
- Collaborate with key business partners across product, editorial, and other engineers
You need to have:
- 2+ years of experience working on highly concurrent, real-time, stateful, and distributed applications optimizing for low latency and high scalability
- 2+ years experience of Object Oriented Design working on backend systems
- 1+ years experience working with large data sets, especially data cleaning, pre-processing, and ETL pipelines.
- Expertise in Python and Java
- Experience working with Spark and/or Hadoop
- Experience leading projects from incubation to large scale production deployments
- Experience in working with and evaluating open source technologies
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see
- Experience implementing and using Classification techniques, Recommender Systems, and Optimization Algorithms
- Passion for working with large data sets
- Passionate about using data to build intuitive user experiences
- Experience with public cloud platforms like AWS, GCP, and Azure
- Ability to adapt cutting edge systems to enterprise requirements including high availability and disaster recovery
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.