Big Tech Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Jan 13, 2021 - Requisition No. 88201
Bloomberg News is one of the biggest and most influential news organizations. Our Global Technology team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world and holds them accountable. We're seeking a talented, aggressive and creative reporter to join our award-winning team in New York or San Francisco, covering the largest technology platforms and their influence on the economy and beyond. This includes fast-paced breaking news, video, graphics and data journalism as well as deeper, longer-term stories and projects covering broader technology trends. Examples: The evolving nature of online search and digital advertising; artificial intelligence; cloud computing; automation including driverless cars; online misinformation; and antitrust and the rising power of Big Tech.
Who we're looking for:
You're an experienced, agile reporter with a deep rolodex of technology industry contacts and an intimate knowledge of the sector and its most important companies, products and innovations. How many Big Tech insiders do you know personally and how comfortable are they talking with you beyond the reach of PR handlers? Rather than follow the news and write about its impact, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing, spark debate and spur regulators and lawmakers into action. You’re versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly on the most pressing breaking news of the day -- while still pursuing more ambitious and impactful investigations. Can you file a FOIA request in the morning and, later that afternoon, submit a breaking news story in 10 minutes? You will be able to write for a variety of platforms, including the web, the Bloomberg terminal, Bloomberg TV and QuickTake videos and Bloomberg Businessweek magazine.
We'll trust you to:
- Lean on existing sources and develop new ones to generate intelligent, impactful news
- Write original, feature-length stories about Big Tech’s most important initiatives and how they are impacting consumers, rivals, the market, the economy and society in general.
- Break news with speed and accuracy
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team and others across teams and regions
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years of technology journalism experience
- Strong knowledge of and interest in the industry
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
If this sounds like you, apply today! We're looking forward to speaking with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.