Senior Software Engineer - Directory
New York, NY
Posted Jan 5, 2022 - Requisition No. 90325
The Bloomberg Directory is aimed at creating and maintaining the definitive data store for user information and metadata about both users and organizations within the financial space. This system is being built to help guide Bloomberg terminal access and user configuration, compliance, and communication possibilities both internally and for our customers. Our categorization and search systems allow both internal and external clients to access the right information based on a multi-tiered structure of attributes in real time, while simultaneously being flexible enough to allow that structure to change and grow.
One of the goals of the Directory system is to assign a unique identifier to each individual in the financial space - The Global Personal Identifier (GPI). Our efforts are driven towards building a system whereby we can identify individuals and track them through their careers whilst ensuring that we still maintain a unique identifier for them. We are also in the process of integrating with third party applications such as Microsoft Azure. This will open the door towards integration with Microsoft Communication Frameworks as well.
Our team owns heavily used pieces of infrastructure so they face a wide variety of interesting challenges. The systems we build need to be able to handle large amounts of requests (millions per hour) while also being resilient. The systems must be robust to the point that one client application having problems will not impact other clients. From a product point of view, we need to identify patterns in how people use our systems, to imagine smart solutions and workflows that a user may never have thought of. Our main languages are C++ and Python, and besides the Bloomberg proprietary stack, we use several open source technologies including Redis, RabbitMQ, Kafka or SOLR.
What's in it for you?
- You will be joining a team where everything is done democratically. Collaboration and camaraderie are part of our DNA, which means everybody is always ready to help anybody else. We are all equal in the teams and all big decisions are taken together.
- You will be able to work on back-end services, on client facing-UIs, or both.
- You will have the opportunity to experience and contribute to a high level of SDLC and automation, as each team is very committed to keeping our processes up to date.
- We value inclusion and diversity very highly. We believe that having a wide variety of strengths and a wide variety of opinions represented makes us stronger.
- We take individual progression very seriously. We are developing unique tools and processes to make sure you continue to grow in ways that are meaningful to you.
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years experience in an Object Oriented Programming language (e.g. C++, Python, Java)
- A good understanding of how to write and deploy code in a production environment
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience with distributed systems, micro-services, open-source technologies
- A passion for automation, SDLC and technology in general
- Interest in developing good relationships with stakeholders, including with other teams and with product managers
- An understanding of continuous integration principles and writing testable code
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know! And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.