Data Engineer - Macro Markets and Alternative Data
New York, NY
Posted Jun 27, 2022 - Requisition No. 90797
We have data engineering positions available in two teams across our Macro Markets & Alternative Data (MMAD) organization - the Futures & Options team & the Economics Data Modeling & Services team.
The Futures & Options team ingests and enriches metadata for millions of futures, strategies, and options from hundreds of exchanges around the world for commodity, currency and fixed income instruments. Our data, which is critical for many areas of Bloomberg and our clients, gets one hundred billion daily requests and continues to become more important and complex. As such, the accuracy and reliability of the data is vital. We ingest raw data from hundreds of heterogeneous data streams which need to be processed correctly and in a timely fashion. We’re looking for a data engineer to help re-architect and streamline our data ingestion pipeline with a strong focus on data quality. We want to detect and correct data issues as early in the pipeline as possible. Our primary pipeline is in C++.
The Economics & Services team manages more than a million unique time series tied to hundreds of different topics, such as GDP, unemployment, housing statistics and much more. For our applications to deliver this time-sensitive information, their foundation is a standardized data model that joins data from various sources from different countries and regions around the world. We collaborate with other engineering teams to leverage the best in data ingestion, search, and data APIs, and we collaborate with non-engineering groups like Global Data, News, and Bloomberg economists for sourcing the data. We are looking for a software engineer with a passion for data modeling, who embraces the challenges of multi-paradigm representation of rich datasets, and who is sensitive to the requirements of the applications built on top of it.
We'll trust you to:
- Evaluate, design, and support complex and critical data pipelines
- Explore new technologies and methodologies, finding the best tools for the job rather than what you know
- Take ownership and manage projects effectively to ensure clear communication around expectations, timelines, and vision with stakeholders
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer
- 5+ years of experience with C++/Java/Python
- Experience in designing and developing data pipelines with strong focus on quality
- Sound grasp of software design principles to deliver maintainable systems
- Passionate about incorporating testing processes, continuous integration, continuous deployment, and increased observability of distributed systems
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field, and/or related professional experience
We'd love to see:
- Experience with C++ (the primary languages we use)
- Experience with Agile software development
- Familiarity with Airflow
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about, please go ahead and apply! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.