Senior Software Engineer - Chat and Message Applications
New York, NY
Posted May 5, 2022 - Requisition No. 90864
The Communication Channels Applications team is looking for a strong front end or full stack engineer with a passion for building tools that connect financial professionals and change the way Wall Street communicates. We’re looking for someone who takes pride in their work, shows initiative, and can help us cement our place as the premier communication platform in the financial world.
The group covers two main products, core to Bloomberg:
Instant Bloomberg (IB) is Bloomberg's instant messaging system, used to exchange real-time quotes, trade ideas, news, and other financial information.
Message (MSG) powers collaboration and communication as a long-form communication platform, a real-time price dissemination tool, and a tightly integrated workflow facilitator.
We have a broad user base unlike any other company, including asset managers, brokers, traders, financial analysts, and desks across all asset classes. Our users rely on our products because of their real-time performance, substantial scale, ironclad security, tight integration with financial data, and close collaboration with other applications on the Bloomberg Terminal. Looking forward, we strive to connect our users even closer with chatbots and curated communities, cultivate communication and clarity across the markets using NLP to structure content, and continue to expand and streamline workflows with modern features and embedded financial tools.
- Develop and improve the most used applications on the Terminal to meet the growing demands of our clients
- Push for standard methodologies and keep our products on the front line of the industry as a whole
- Work with our core infrastructure teams to develop full-stack solutions to handle over 2 billion daily posts across MSG and IB
- Collaborate with engineering partners and product managers to deliver features with widespread impact and influence future development on internal frameworks
What’s in it for you?
- You’ll get real-world experience working on heavily used, client-facing, production code and get immediate feedback from our users
- You’ll join a community of engineers passionate about either front-end or full-stack development on core Terminal products
- You’ll work on projects both from client requests and engineering-driven initiatives in a highly-collaborative environment and make an impact across the financial industry
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of experience in software development and object oriented programming
- Understanding of application architecture, design patterns, and production environments
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
We’d love to see:
- Experience building messaging and chat products and/or your ideas for improving them
- Passion for working on client-facing products
- Experience with TypeScript, Flow, or similar compile-to-JS typed languages
- Experience with Python or C++ and/or building full-stack applications
- Interest in developing good relationships with partners such as other teams and product managers
- Familiarity with continuous integration principles and writing testable code
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.