U.S. Media/Telecom/Entertainment Team Leader
Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jun 16, 2021 - Requisition No. 91513
Netflix dukes it out with Disney. AT&T and Discovery join forces. Amazon invests in James Bond. The media, entertainment and telecommunications beats are always exciting, but the rise of streaming has completely upended these industries, and we're looking for a leader to keep Bloomberg News on top of it all. Bloomberg's U.S. Media, Telecom and Entertainment Team breaks news and writes the definitive stories about the shifting fortunes of iconic corporations and new challengers in TV, music, video games, movies and wireless services. And we're looking for a leader to steer this vital area of coverage, working with reporters to seek out scoops, write confidently on deadline, and conceive and develop features and projects in print and beyond.
What we're looking for:
An experienced journalist who knows how to break news and can help reporters expand their sources and tease out tips and ideas. A strong writer who's equally comfortable jamming out a few paragraphs under pressure or talking through the framing and structure of a long-form piece before and after weeks of reporting. An unflappable personality who can juggle multiple breaking stories, project management meetings, personnel matters and newsroom editorial meetings all in the course of a day. A nimble editor who can work across a variety of platforms, including the web, the Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg TV, QuickTake videos and Bloomberg Businessweek magazine, with tools such as video, graphics and data journalism. A passionate advocate for representation and diversity in the newsroom. A financially savvy thinker who can spot a nugget of news buried deep in a filing. And above all, a person with a clear sense of purpose, mission and news judgment, someone who knows how to set priorities and focus on what matters most.
We'll trust you to:
- Work with reporters and editors to conceptualize and publish intelligent, high-impact news
- Shepherd and edit breaking news stories from scoops to analysis on tight daily deadlines
- Edit feature-length stories about the media industry’s most important themes and how they are impacting consumers, companies, the market, the economy and society in general
- Work with reporters to ensure the accuracy and reliability of Bloomberg News’ work
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Business team and others across teams and regions
- Help develop team members’ skills, conduct reviews and support employees’ career paths
- Organize meetings and manage team communications and agendas
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of five years of business journalism experience, with editing and management experience a plus
- Deep knowledge of and interest in industries such as retail and consumer goods
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form, in-depth features
- The ability to write and edit quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience - A willingness to work well within a team and with others across the newsroom
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com