Senior Software Engineer/Tech Lead - Bloomberg Quant Platform
San Francisco, CA
Posted Jun 24, 2021 - Requisition No. 91733
Bloomberg is the global leader in business and financial data, news and insight. Using the power of technology, we connect the world’s decision makers to accurate information on the financial markets – and help them make faster, smarter decisions.
We’re now going one step further
We are building a new product from scratch to open up our data, core products and visualizations to data scientists, ML researchers, and quantitative modelers. Our users can now fetch and interact with Bloomberg data and products using Python, and apply all the tools of the data science ecosystem to their analyses, unlocking unprecedented flexibility and customizability.
Where do you come in?
We are solving a wide variety of problems, and have many important areas requiring technical leadership and strategy. For instance, how do we build robust components supporting the distributed compute needs for our users? How do we make the components easily deployable across multiple cloud environments? How do we develop high-quality, consistent APIs for executing complex financial workflows? How do we provide federated data access and performant analytics?
You can dive into these areas and more to help us build a next-generation platform for data analysis and research in the financial industry.
Who are you?
- You are an experienced technical lead or architect, looking to exercise your technical leadership in a fast-growing data science product critical to a large organization
- You can take large, ambiguous problems and turn them into concrete action plans through research, scoping, and close partnership with stakeholders
- You can communicate clearly and crisply to a wide variety of different audiences
- You care to learn the needs of our users and make technology choices that serve those needs
- You enjoy mentoring and collaborating with others, and are comfortable leading through influence
We'll trust you to:
- Collaborate with customers and stakeholders across our business, CTO, and other departments to create and refine product and technical roadmaps
- Work across engineering teams to create technical proposals and designs, drive key technical decisions, and be willing to assess the effectiveness of those decisions
- Stay hands-on as a software engineer, implementing features that are robust and scalable
- Proactively stay in-the-know about relevant technical decisions teams are making, or friction points they are encountering, and recommend and contribute improvements to the platform
- Mentor engineers on design, implementation, and technical leadership
You'll need to have:
- 7+ years of hands-on experience building and maintaining production software systems
- Experience leading multiple developers to deliver on initiatives, and/or experience influencing large, key technical designs and decisions
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with cloud native technologies
- BA, BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technology field, or equivalent experience
We’d love to see:
- Experience working with senior-level stakeholders
- Experience building cloud-based data science platforms
- Experience with AWS/GCP/Azure
- Experience with Jupyter/JupyterLab/JupyterHub
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience in Python and/or golang
- Open source contributions
What’s in it for you:
- An opportunity to make a significant impact on a highly visible, new product within a large organization
- An opportunity to work with technical, machine learning, and financial domain experts across many departments
- An opportunity to work with relevant modern cloud, container orchestration, data science, and quantitative analytics technologies
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg has funded major initiatives in the Project Jupyter community, such as JupyterLab, Voilà (a Jupyter dashboarding solution), and a JupyterLab debugger. Your teammates will be ACM Software System Award-winning Project Jupyter members! See them discussing their work at:
We recently posted a "meet the team" blog post, check out the link below to get to know our SF engineering office!