Compute Cloud Architect (CTO Office)
New York, NY
Posted Jul 7, 2021 - Requisition No. 92022
Bloomberg's CTO Office is the forward-looking technical arm of Bloomberg L.P. We envision, design and prototype the next generation infrastructure, hardware and applications that interface all aspects of the company including financial products, broadcast and media, data centers, public cloud, internal IT and our large global network.
As a member of the CTO Compute Architecture team, you will work with teams in Engineering and CTO on researching and implementing new and better ways to:
- Provision, manage and elastically scale compute infrastructure with automation and self-service capabilities on our premises, in public clouds and at our network's edges.
- Develop, articulate, and continually evolve the company’s compute, storage, middleware and application technologies via roadmaps and product ownership.
- Act as Product Owner, architect and work closely with infrastructure teams to develop a technical roadmap.
As a member of our team, you will work with motivated and skilled engineers across the company to deliver timely and secure solutions, and help us define the future of Bloomberg's Cloud Infrastructure. This is a unique opportunity to join a talented group and set the direction for a crucial growing division.
What’s in it for you:
- Contribute to the long term vision for cloud compute, storage, middleware, applications and infrastructure at Bloomberg.
- Influence the roadmap for future cloud technologies and how Bloomberg will build new infrastructure.
- Provide guidance for optimized and reusable cloud infrastructure across public cloud providers and in our own data centers.
- Collaborate with teams in various projects and products to provide reusable infrastructure components.
- Develop cloud infrastructure patterns by researching and using the best open source tools on the market.
- Help improve developer productivity for over 6000 engineers with modern tools and automation.
- Opportunity to work with and contribute to open source communities
We'll trust you to:
- Take a leadership role in defining tools, techniques and technologies used to build Bloomberg’s cloud infrastructure.
- Support new product development, guiding teams with the appropriate cloud architectures, design patterns and deployment strategies.
- Prototype new cloud infrastructure technologies, and understand how they fit into Bloomberg's existing environment.
- Have strong communication skills with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at all levels and across functions.
- Identify and mentor the next generation of cloud leadership throughout Bloomberg.
- Foster a culture of cloud and security best practices while balancing the trade-offs between security, usability and performance at a large scale.
- Represent Bloomberg at open source community and industry conferences.
You’ll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience automating, building, maintaining and managing various aspects of large-scale infrastructure.
- 2+ years of programming experience in Python or Go.
- 2+ years of automation experience with AWS, Azure or GCP using Terraform or equivalent.
- A track record of building collaborative relationships with stakeholders across many functions, with a focus on correctness, scalability and usability of cloud infrastructure.
- Experience with Docker, Container technologies, Kubernetes.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Experience with developing, deploying and managing RESTful APIs.
We'd love to see:
- Past cloud automation projects and responsibilities in large-scale products.
- Familiarity with network protocols and stack across OSI layers.
- Experience with public cloud platforms including Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Breadth of knowledge in systems, networks, and software.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.