Software Engineering Manager - Media Websites
New York, NY
Posted Aug 11, 2021 - Requisition No. 92104
Who we are:
Bloomberg Media supplies global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion, and proprietary data distributed on every platform. Our flagship website, Bloomberg.com, serves over 80 million unique visitors a month and consistently ranks among the top 10 most visited news and financial websites on the internet.
Media is looking for an Engineering Manager with experience and/or interest in modern web frontend development. The team is responsible for building new and innovative features to drive user engagement through Personalization, collect first party data and build a deeper relationship with our users. This area is a strategic priority for the Media business and the team works closely with Product, Design, Editorial, and other Engineering teams to innovate on behalf of our users. The team is also responsible, in partnership with another team, for managing the platforms and applications that serve the majority of pages on Bloomberg.com.
What’s in it for you:
As the Team Lead, you will lead, grow and manage the engineering team for Engagement & Utility for Bloomberg.com. You will inspire and motivate a high-performing team, leading by example while supporting individual growth and development to prepare them for increased responsibility. You will also develop strong partnerships with stakeholders/partners on product, design and editorial teams and collaborate with them to conceptualize and deliver industry leading innovative products for our users.
You will work with modern open-source web technologies & platforms and own the performance & availability of our applications running on-premise and on the public cloud. You will stay up to date with the evolution of web technologies, browsers, privacy regulations and SEO to understand the impact on our business and proactively adapt to these changes. We will also depend on you to advise on system design, architecture, and scalability of the applications that play a critical role in serving news to the Bloomberg.com users.
You need to have:
- 2+ years of experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent.
- Strong track record of creating growth opportunities for engineers on the team and developing future leaders via mentoring and coaching
- Strong people leader and collaborator who can drive consensus among a group of opinionated stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple parallel work streams and a diverse stakeholder group
- Strong proponent of Product-minded Engineering, data-driven decision making, and a culture of A/B testing
- Expertise in modern web frontend technologies (e.g. NodeJS, ReactJS, VueJS, HTML, CSS, JS, Typescript)
- Lead discussions about web architecture patterns, caching, CDNs, security, accessibility, SEO, etc and make recommendations for the business.
- Strong understanding of browser internals such as Rendering engines, parsing & DOM tree construction, Cookies & web vitals.
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Past experience in building automated scans for accessibility scans, frontend performance monitoring, and observability.
- Track record to iterate quickly with a high bar on quality and operational excellence.
- Experience in integrating various Ads vendors with web applications to support the ads business.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status