Software Engineering Manager - Media Mobile Apps
New York, NY
Posted Sep 21, 2021 - Requisition No. 92121
Who we are:
Bloomberg Media empowers global business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed on every platform, across every time zone reaching over 80 million unique visitors a month through its digital properties. Our iOS and Android applications have the most engaged audience of all our digital properties and serve millions of users every month.
Media is looking for an Engineering Manager with experience developing mobile applications. The team is responsible for all aspects of our business on the iOS & Android applications including core app experience (homepage, article, market data, video, etc.), ads and subscriptions. The wide scope of the team leads to a variety of opportunities like increasing engagement through Personalization, finding new ways to present our content to our users, collecting first party data, acquiring & retaining subscribers and in general, building a deeper relationship with our users. The team works closely with Product, Design, Editorial, and other Engineering teams to convert these opportunities into reality.
What’s in it for you:
As the Team Lead, you will lead, grow and manage our mobile engineering team. You will inspire and motivate a high-performing team, leading by example while supporting individual growth and development to prepare them for increased responsibility. You will also develop strong partnerships with stakeholders/partners on product, design and editorial teams and collaborate with them to innovate on behalf of our users and ensure that our mobile apps are best in class.
You will work with modern open-source mobile technologies and platforms. You will get a chance to cultivate expertise in React Native and influence the technical direction of the team. You will also be able to participate in and drive towards a culture of high quality engineering practices, continuous learning and collaboration. We will depend on you to advise on system design, architecture, and scalability of the applications that play a critical role in serving news to our app users.
You'll need to have:
- 2+ years of experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent
- Strong understanding of mobile engineering principles (ie. design patterns, best practices, and performance considerations)
- Strong track record of creating growth opportunities for engineers on the team and developing future leaders via mentoring and coaching
- Strong people leader and collaborator who can drive consensus among a group of opinionated stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple parallel work streams and a diverse stakeholder group
- Strong proponent of Product-minded Engineering, data-driven decision making, and a culture of A/B testing
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
We'd love to see:
- Experience designing well-architected mobile apps from the ground up
- Experience with mobile accessibility, performance monitoring, and observability
- Strong understanding of React Native
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.