Senior Software Engineer - News Search Infrastructure
Posted Jul 14, 2021 - Requisition No. 92214
Bloomberg is the market leader in financial news. Our team builds the search infrastructure to help clients discover market moving news from hundreds of millions of stories, sourced from thousands of news providers in many languages from across the globe. We solve technical challenges of low-latency, high-throughput distributed systems and information retrieval to help our clients stay ahead of the market when news breaks.
We work with C++/Python/Java languages, a customized version of open source Apache Solr/Lucene search engine that runs on specially tuned clusters of machines to deliver the best product in its class. Our recent conference presentation (https://2021.berlinbuzzwords.de/session/scaling-facets-stars) at Berlin Buzzwords was about search faceting on billions of news stories.
Our system continues to grow at a fast pace as we scale to ever increasing data volume, search load and build new functionalities. You will be responsible for maintaining current systems and building new products for future needs in collaboration with other teams. If challenges like these excite you, we look forward to meeting you.
What's in it for you?
- Opportunity to build and enhance fault-tolerant distributed systems
- Build expertise in the field of Information Retrieval and open source software like Apache Solr/Lucene
- Exposure to a wide set of technical skills beyond programming, from tuning hardware configuration to collaborating in cross-functional agile teams
We'd expect you to have:
- Experience building scalable and robust distributed systems using C++/Java.
- Good knowledge of data structures, multithreaded programming and troubleshooting
- Communication skills to collaborate with multiple teams and simplify technical aspects for non-technical users
- Growth mindset and a desire to learn
- An interest in coaching and mentoring
We’d love to see:
- Proven record of working independently - taking projects from ideation to completion or contributing to open source projects
- Familiarity with search engine like Solr/Lucene/Elasticsearch
- Experience with modern build and deployment practices
If this sounds like you, please apply!
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on. The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire/
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know.
And do check out our blog, TechAtBloomberg.com/ to learn more.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We have a lot of opportunities to choose from in Engineering, and it is important to us that your skills and experience align best with the team you are interviewing with. To help ensure you are placed on the right team, your application will be considered for all of our current vacancies in Engineering at the first stage of the interview process.