Senior Software Engineer - Crash Reporting Runtime Team
New York, NY
Posted Jul 16, 2021 - Requisition No. 92326
Even with the best development processes, bugs happen.
That's where you come in. You’ll help us solve problems both at a low level ("What call chains were active when this program crashed or stopped responding? How do I map a crash to a program and the right versions of the right shared libraries to be able to debug it?") and at a high level ("How do I map this random binary on this VM or in this container to the right person to notify? How do I manage bandwidth when core files are being collected from all over the world?").
This is a role where collaboration, curiosity, and an eagerness to share your learnings are important. Most of the problems we’re working to solve involve integrating with other teams. We work directly with the engineers who use our tools, answering questions about how the product works and using that feedback to drive new development. We also partner with experts in language specific runtimes, like C++, Python, and Go, to ensure that the machines are configured correctly to capture enough debug information and that the reports have the right level of detail.
We’ll trust you to:
- Adapt our crash reporting pipeline as new technologies are adopted
- Explore emerging standards
- Collaborate with other teams to integrate with their debug tools
- Work with engineering teams to make crash reporting easier to use
You’ll need to have:
- 3+ years of software development using C++/C on UNIX/Linux environments
- Experience with Python
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science or related field
- Strong communication skills
We'd love to see:
- Experience with GoLang
- An understanding of how software is stored in memory (particularly the stack) and on disk (shared libraries)
- An interest in how GCC/Clang toolchains assemble binaries and the capabilities of their debugging tools
If this sounds like you, apply to learn more!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.