Data Scientist - Bloomberg Second Measure Core Data
San Francisco, CA
Posted Sep 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 94906
Bloomberg Second Measure is a leading provider of data analytics that delivers valuable insights into company performance and consumer behavior. Using data from billions of anonymized transactions, we have built a self-service analytics product for daily tracking and real-time exploration of 5,200+ public and private companies.
Data from Bloomberg Second Measure drives core strategic decisions for our clients: how to invest billion-dollar portfolios, how to allocate nine-figure marketing budgets, and how to prioritize large partnerships and acquisitions. Through our self-service platform, our clients get instant visibility into any consumer company — how quickly they’re growing, whether they’re gaining or losing share in key markets, how well they retain customers, how much those customers spend over their lifetime, and even where else those customers shop.
This is game-changing data for our clients. And we dedicate significant effort to always ensure that the data we produce is both useful and accurate.
We’re looking for a data scientist to join our Core Data team. Data scientists on the Core Data Team are responsible for developing the algorithms that process and enrich raw consumer transaction data. You’ll build models to extract facts from billions of consumer transactions, make time-series predictions, and apply statistical corrections for bias.
You’ll join a diverse team with varied educational backgrounds — astronomy, physics, atmospheric science, chemistry, economics, law, neuroscience, pure math, and more — and a shared appreciation for our diversity.
We’ll trust you to:
- Drive the research, design, and development of prototype models that evaluate and forecast company performance and consumer behavior to provide business value
- Collaborate with the team to build, deploy, and maintain robust data pipelines producing high-quality data
- Research new measurements, frameworks, and techniques to help evolve and sharpen our processes and analytics
- Identify improvements or interventions to enhance data quality
- Build a broad understanding of our clients, product, and our data
- Collaborate with cross functional stakeholders to identify opportunities for improvements in models and/or monitoring
You’ll need to have:
- You have a PhD in a quantitative discipline and/or years of experience as a data scientist
- You’re an expert in applied statistics
- You have strong data intuition and are an expert at data analysis
- You’re proficient in statistical computing with Python & SQL.
- You’re familiar with basic engineering principles like version control, unit testing, writing clean code, etc.
We’d love to see:
- You have expertise in panel data, behavioral analysis, text processing, geolocation, and/or time series analysis.
- You have experience working with financial data
- You have experience in large-scale, data-rich environments.
- You’re familiar with cloud computing
- You have experience building, monitoring, and deploying production models.
- You’re familiar with distributed data processing and have built things with Spark, Hive, Presto/Trino, etc.
- You’re familiar with data modeling and database design
- You’re familiar with agile and iterative software development processes
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.