IP/ Commercial Counsel
New York, NY
Posted Sep 28, 2021 - Requisition No. 95853
Bloomberg’s Legal & Compliance Department plays a critical role in supporting our businesses and operations around the world. We move quickly and thoughtfully to help address a variety of complex legal issues that arise across the Company’s various businesses. Our team is made up of talented and hardworking professionals who think creatively and work collaboratively in an open environment to deliver results, drive innovation, and solve difficult problems. Diversity and inclusion are essential to our success, and we strive to maintain an environment where our employees are empowered to make an impact. We also recognize the value of diversity and inclusion in cultivating a supportive workplace and the importance of giving back to our communities as evidenced by our award-winning pro bono program.
Reporting into one of our senior lawyers in New York, you will be part of a team responsible for working on a variety of IP matters, including intellectual property enforcement, brand protection, and contracts. The team directly advises and works closely with various teams within the company in order to achieve internal clients' objectives, and collaborates with other counsel to identify and minimize risk.
We'll trust you to:
- Provide legal advice and counsel to internal clients, including in the area of data collection, brand protection, and domain management.
- Serve as a trusted business partner in identifying business risks, communicating them, and escalating them as needed.
- Draft documentation and filings as needed in connection with the company’s intellectual property enforcement efforts
- Monitor and protect the company’s brand, including with respect to the various social media channels
- Draft, review, analyze and negotiate a variety of agreements
- Stay up to date on emerging case law in the area of copyrights and trademarks.
You'll need to have:
- At least 2* years of relevant experience practicing law, preferably at a top law firm and/or in-house at a financial or technology company
- Experience working on brand protection matters
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple projects and clients
- The ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of other subject areas, often across regions and time zones and to think strategically
- The ability to build and maintain strong client relationships
- Willingness to learn and stay up to date with emerging case law
- Membership in the New York bar or necessary qualifications to register as in-house counsel
We'd love to see:
- An understanding of the legal and business aspects of data, financial information, and/or technology-related products and services
- Knowledge of intellectual property, and data privacy/data security (preferred but not required)
- Familiarity with recent legislation impacting the area of intellectual property as applied to data
- Desire to thrive in a diverse, collaborative, open-plan environment
- Provide concise and commercially-focused advice in a dynamic, ever-changing workplace.
If that sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/company/
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Please note we use years of experience as a guide, but we certainly will consider all applications that are able to demonstrate the skills necessary for the role