Senior Software Engineer - System of Record
New York, NY
Posted Oct 7, 2021 - Requisition No. 96237
Our team builds tools and APIs to maintain and extend the System of Record, an authoritative source of data for Technology Infrastructure asset inventory and configuration. Some of the most critical uses of this data is to drive automated provisioning and management of infrastructure, to provide insights during outages, and to meet regulatory obligations. We empower infrastructure domain experts with the tools to easily extend the System of Record model safely. We provide all infrastructure and SRE teams in Bloomberg a means to access this rich and highly connected data. The data encompasses a rapidly growing set of attributes needed to manage over 100K assets in our physical data centers as well as our cloud infrastructure.
What's in it for you:
You can directly influence how the application evolves. We value good ideas that make things better. On any given day we leverage open source technologies to tackle complex problems and work with modern tools such as Kubernetes, Go, and gRPC to build a scalable distributed system. The application is still growing and has a healthy queue of work that requires thoughtful and creative solutions. We’ll trust you to solve problems like how to efficiently handle unpredictable request loads, achieve low latency response times in the face of complex data joins, and create APIs that can stand the test of time. The work we do will also expose you to intricacies in infrastructure operations in such areas as cloud infrastructure, network management, data center operations, and automated provisioning.
Primary day-to-day responsibilities:
- Code solutions in Go, Python, SQL, C/C++, or shell scripts to projects, bug fixes, & prototypes
- Design GraphQL APIs that allow user to interact with data safely
- Design data models to represent various domains in Infrastructure
- Review code committed by fellow developers
- Review and comment on design documents
- Participate in discussion at various meetings with both fellow develops and stakeholders
- Collaborate with & mentor others on the team
- Troubleshoot bugs reported by users
- Field inquiries and requests from production users
You need to have:
- Proven track record implementing robust and scalable solutions to complex technical challenges using one of these languages: Go, C/C++, or Python
- Prior experience designing scalable DB schemas, working with RDBMS and/or NoSQL DBs optimizing for performance
- Designed intuitive and safe APIs, that can be extended without breaking changes
- Ability to distill problems, and respectfully discuss ideas, and solutions with clarity.
- Self motivation to figure things out independently
- A curiosity about how things work; continuously learns and self improves, and generosity in sharing knowledge with others
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related technology field
We are looking for a candidate who can contribute to our vision by proposing creative and flexible ideas, implementing robust solutions, and engaging peers and stakeholders at various levels to fully understand problem sets.
We'd love to see:
- Language: Go
- Database/Cache: PostgreSQL, Redis, schema design, DB optimization techniques
- Container: Kubernetes, Docker
- Middleware: Kafka, gRPC, Protocol buffers
- Web & API: GraphQL, Nginx, Gin-Gonic, REST
- Operating System: Linux, shell scripting
Other technologies of interest:
- Language: Python, C/C++
- Operating System: Windows
- Database/Cache: Other RDBMS, NOSQL DBs such as MongoDB, Cassandra or Neo4j
- Search Analytics: Elasticsearch, Solr, Splunk, Humio, Grafana
- Tools: Chef, Jenkins, Salt, Helm
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.