Government Reporter - Canberra
Posted Oct 11, 2021 - Requisition No. 96310
Bloomberg News seeks an experienced, tenacious and committed reporter to cover Australian government news in Canberra.
We're looking for a well-connected, self-starting journalist who will work with colleagues in Sydney and Melbourne, breaking news and writing memorable stories from one of the largest economies in the Asia-Pacific region.
There is much to dig into. Scott Morrison's government is headed toward an election in 2022 that will be shaped in part by his handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and the impact on the economy and companies. Australia is also playing a leading role in regional affairs, as rising political tensions with China feed into trade and investment.
The successful candidate will have a proven ability to deliver scoops and provide timely and useful insight to our global readers through the prism of markets, finance, commodities, business and economics.
You will be expected to work with colleagues from other teams and bureaus across Asia and beyond to write thematic stories that connect the dots and link events to global trends.
You will have outstanding news judgement and first class writing skills. You are the kind of person who thrives under pressure and can make quick decisions on the ground in a single-person bureau.
We'll also expect you to contribute to platforms including QuickTake, radio and television and our Balance of Power newsletter.
We'll trust you to:
- Develop sources and break news at the highest levels of the Australian government
- Jump on unexpected news developments and build quick coverage and reaction
- Produce high-level features
- Collaborate with other teams and bureaus in Australia and internationally
You’ll need to have:
- At least five years’ experience in political, financial or business journalism
- A deep understanding of Australian government and the intersection of politics, business, commodities and finance
- A proven track record of breaking news
- Ability to work steadily and calmly under pressure
- Confidence interpreting and handling data
- Ideas on how to compliment your story-telling with visual, audio, graphics
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer.
Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing email@example.com.