Tech Specialist - Escalated OS Support
Posted Oct 15, 2021 - Requisition No. 96510
The Escalated OS Support team manages a large and diverse fleet of Linux, Windows, Solaris, and AIX servers, handling all aspects of operating system administration including configuration management, task orchestration, kernel and performance tunables, and file-systems. You will get to work with modern, open-source tooling while maintaining mission-critical systems hosting a wide array of applications. We are driven to provide a service that focuses on process improvement as well as maintaining a culture of information sharing and team collaboration.
What’s in it for you:
The Escalated OS Support role will provide world class systems management and engineering skills for this global Linux/Unix and Windows computing environment.
We'll trust you to:
- Remediation of host level OS issues as they relate to the environment and baseline configuration
- Perform OS level activity including investigation, maintenance and repair of servers
You’ll need to have:
- Extensive experience showing progressive levels of responsibility within the realm of systems administration engineering (Linux heavy)
- Experience with interpreted languages (such as Python, Ruby, Perl) and shell scripting (ksh or bash ideal)
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Must function as a member of a team and thrive in a fast-paced, interrupt-driven systems environment
- Strong sense of operational reality
- Ability to prioritize work including active data center service and projects in flight
- Desire to learn and take ownership of personal development
- The ability to communicate timely and concise information to various teams throughout Engineering at the appropriate level of detail
We’d love to see:
- Ability to implement basic tunables and network settings using configuration management platforms (e.g. Chef)
- Capability to plan, implement and manage complex projects
- Motivation to improve the top and bottom line of our business
- Excellent and rapid troubleshooting and repair skills
- Passion for educating others and improving our team capabilities
- Creative capabilities in a complex, fast-paced technology environment
- Experience with LVM and network-based enterprise file-system management
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures to prevent and reduce the severity of outages
- Prior involvement in coordinating activities with vendors such as software and firmware bug reporting and remediation
Please note that the shift for this role is:
6am-3pm running from Sundays-Thursdays or Tuesdays-Sundays
*Please note that this role falls within IR35*
It is Bloomberg policy that we do not accept Contingent Workers providing services through a personal service company for this role.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
In the meantime, check us out at http://www.techatbloomberg.com/
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org