Data Analyst - Content Indexing
Posted Oct 19, 2021 - Requisition No. 96623
Bloomberg runs on data, and our Global Data team acquires and supplies it to our clients. Teams work to collect, analyze, process and publish the data which is the backbone of our iconic Bloomberg Terminal -- the data which ultimately moves the financial markets! We’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
As a member of our News Indexing team based in Princeton, NJ, you will be responsible for automated classification of the world's most important financial and economic news with the aim of further entrenching Bloomberg as the leader in the financial news market. We use proprietary and open-source software to automatically retrieve, parse, organize and tag news from social media sites, news feeds, web sites and other sources that run on the Bloomberg Professional Service. We also build and maintain our complex taxonomy of classification tags according to our clients’ needs. Our work is not theoretical or hyper-specific – it is practical and impactful.
We’ll trust you to:
- Use specialized software in order to create hierarchical rules that automatically classify Bloomberg and third-party news, as well as data from social media sites. You need to have a keen interest in news and perform research in order to identify news topics and modify or create news classification rules accordingly.
- Identify accurate and reliable news sources and act as subject matter expert for the news product.
- Identify opportunities to create efficiency in our processes and execute on your ideas.
- Collaborate with our partners in Product Strategy, Sales, Analytics and Engineering to understand our clients’ needs and build a market-leading news product. In addition, you will also partner with our Sales and Analytics groups to promote our news product and ensure strong customer uptake.
- Develop cutting-edge processes focused on natural language processing, data science, machine learning, and text analysis as we build the next generation of Bloomberg’s proprietary news classification products.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as Library Science, Linguistics, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Business, Finance, or other computer-related specialization
- Strong interest/ knowledge in financial and economic news
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven understanding of customer service and experience in building strong relationships with stakeholders
- 1 - 3 years of professional project management experience in information management with the ability to deliver on tight deadlines
- Work legally in the US without visa sponsorship now or in the future
We'd love to see:
- Knowledge of U.S. market trends, themes and drivers
- Experience working on data science projects and technologies, especially using NLP techniques to deal with unstructured text corpora
- Experience in editing, writing, curating, labeling or assigning news stories
- Experience in using categorization, filtering or mining software (such as OpenCalais, Datasift, GNIP, Inxight, IDOL, Verity, Clear Forest, Microsoft Fast)
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.