Director of Product Design
New York, NY
Posted Oct 29, 2021 - Requisition No. 96972
Bloomberg LP has built a significant media business spanning television, digital, magazine, radio and live event platforms across the globe. In the midst of a historic time in the media industry, Bloomberg Media is growing its global footprint and reach through new innovations from QuickTake to New Economy.
We are looking for a Director of Product Design to help us bring our work to the next level. Your role will be to lead and mentor a small team of product designers, to collaborate with product, engineer, and broader design leadership, and to help guide the vision of our consumer-facing product suite across web, app, OTT, and new technologies. We’re searching for a design leader who can advocate for users while helping us meet our editorial mission and business goals.
We’ll trust you to:
- Be a top-tier design thinker; develop a deep understanding of Bloomberg’s various business lines. Be a key partner in developing our roadmaps and strategies to help meet our business goals, all while advocating for and communicating the value of design within Bloomberg Media; ensure team roadmaps are user-centered, data-informed and consider the entire product ecosystem.
- Be capable of establishing a comprehensive vision for how our products should look, feel and interact with each other, as well as an effective strategy for bringing that vision to life.
- Demonstrate and teach others expertise in information architecture, multi-step and cross-platform flows.
- Balance existing visual and UX patterns with optimal platform-specific patterns. Ensure a consistent and intuitive experience. Know when and how to justify and codify the introduction of new patterns.
- Demonstrate and articulate expertise of layout, typography, visual hierarchy, and brand.
- Be an empathetic and experienced design manager; lead a team of product designers, fostering an environment for collaboration, creativity, and innovation and building a safe space for feedback. You are excited by the opportunity to develop and strengthen a team of dedicated product designers, stepping into a player-coach role to provide feedback, mentorship, and guidance on a day-to-day basis while also finding and supporting opportunities for growth across the organization.
- Be an exceptionally strong communicator and listener. To consistently deliver clarity for others and regularly coach designers in their presentation, interpersonal and team communication skills.
- Guide designers how best to gain constructive, direct, and actionable feedback from other leaders, partners, product teams, and design peers. Champion responsibility for design quality and principles.
- Exemplify and take ownership for maintaining and improving our defined design process.
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships with leaders across the organization; work closely with Product, Engineering, Editorial, Marketing, Research, and broader Design leadership. Regularly communicate and build relationships with other managers across teams, balancing the needs and concerns of the Product Design team with those of other departments. Promote a healthy understanding and appreciation for design processes and outcomes across teams.
- Establish and maintain a positive, healthy, collaborative culture within the design organization and across Bloomberg Media, celebrating our cultural commitments. Identify and pursue opportunities to spread design thinking and enthusiasm throughout Bloomberg and the wider design community.
You’ll need to have:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in design or commensurate experience.
- 2 or more years of experience as a design manager, plus 4 or more as an independent contributor.
- Experience working in a B2C business; experience or familiarity with a subscription business, media product, or experience with editorial design, a plus.
- Highly proficient in design and rapid prototyping tools like Figma, Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Proto.io, Invision, HTML/CSS.
- Familiarity or experience establishing or working with an established design system; ability to work closely with an engineering team to ensure design quality; a desire to work in an agile environment a plus.
- Experience working in a data-driven environment, incorporating qualitative, quantitative, and research into projects to underscore assumptions and work. A comfort level of establishing design critical metrics and objectives to drive the work of the team and hold the team accountable to those metrics.
- Excellent presentation and communications skills; be able to translate design concepts to a wide-range of partners and executive leaders.
- The willingness to move fluidly and work in a fast-paced, iterative, cross-team environment. Be ready to adapt, and be adept at ensuring stakeholders and team partners are all on the same page.
We’d love to see:
A portfolio – Our goal is to see if your problem-solving and interaction design skills are a good fit for Bloomberg. We would like to see artifacts such as: delivered product, complete designs, sketches. Please include a link or attachment with two (2) projects when you apply. If you need some other way of showing us your work (either by emailing it, bringing it in person, or through an online real-time screen share), please apply for the role and we'll contact you to make arrangements to view it.
If this sounds like you:
Apply today! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.