SRE Team Leader - Data Distribution
Posted Nov 3, 2021 - Requisition No. 97135
At Bloomberg, data is our business - and we deliver it with speed. We send more than 60 billion unique events per day across millions of different instruments. The Real-time Distribution Platform (RDP) team builds Bloomberg's data-distribution infrastructure - one of the most rapidly growing parts of the company. We provide low-latency exchange-sourced market data and value-added Bloomberg-derived data via our open API (http://www.bloomberglabs.com/api/). We develop scalable, distributed, high-performance software that delivers this mission-critical information to all Bloomberg desktop customers and many enterprise-level applications.
What’s your role in this?
The RDP SRE vision is to enable the continuous day-to-day running and seamless, rapid change of the data delivery platform through automation and self-service. We are self-organising, resilient and scalable. We are the SRE team that YOU want to join!
As part of our team, your mission will be to ensure the optimal availability, latency, scalability, and efficiency of the RDP infrastructure. You will own the production environment – from the initial design to ensuring its continuous high availability. Finally, you will develop new components critical to our system’s use in production.
You must be comfortable working alongside other engineers, both when debugging and fixing issues with the current production environment or when building something new.
As the technical manager of the London SRE team, you will have a strong people focus to develop, coach and guide the team to be their very best. You will be able to collaborate with our stakeholders, as well as the larger SRE and development communities globally. Finally, you’ll need to drive the technical vision for the software components that the London team own, as well as influencing other development teams to make sure that their deliveries are production-ready.
We'll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high-performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development.
- Create a strong and collaborative team environment focused on delivering value and increasing our capabilities.
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future business needs.
- Establish best engineering and SRE practices that result in the highest quality in our products and service.
- Develop strong partnerships across globally-located internal development teams and business teams.
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience as an engineering people manager, leading technical teams (including team building and individual development, mentorship and coaching, performance reviews, recruiting and technical leadership).
- The ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment through driving a strong culture of teamwork.
- The skills to effectively listen to, communicate with, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers, locally and remotely.
- Exposure to running live production systems, including triaging and resolving outages.
- Software development experience with an object-oriented language.
- A deep understanding of large-scale distributed system architectures.
- The ability to contribute directly to projects through hands-on development as well as through effective delegation.
- Good stakeholder relationship management skills.
- The desire to take ownership and responsibility of issues and handle effectively through to resolution.
We'd love to see:
- Experience working with a global team and stakeholders in various locations.
- Keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.