Graphics Journalist - Hong Kong
Posted Nov 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 97726
Bloomberg News is the biggest financial and business news organization in the world. We lead the way in breaking news and providing analysis on financial markets, from intraday coverage through in-depth features. We are known for our quality, accuracy and ability to deliver news investors can use. It's what keeps us inventing and re-inventing, all the time.
We're seeking a graphics journalist who specializes in data visualization and creative storytelling. You'll form part of the Bloomberg News Graphics Team which is a group of about 25 journalists based across New York, London, Hong Kong and Washington D.C. Our team is highly collaborative and we value people who are motivated to work with others and pitch in when needed. We break news and pursue stories of consequence and we recognize that the more diverse our experiences, interests and areas of expertise, the better we're able to do that.
We know it takes a wide range of skills to create data visualizations, and we don't expect you to be an expert in all of them. But you should have a skillset that enables you to tell bold visual stories. Writing skills are desirable too. We also welcome experience with mapping, 3D, motion graphics, illustration, or anything else that helps us explore innovative narrative forms. And last but not least, being passionate about reporting on issues of significance to readers in Asia and around the world is certainly a plus.
We’d like you to:
- Rely on your exceptional curiosity, design sensibilities and technical prowess to pitch your own graphics-driven stories
- Collaborate with the wider newsroom on a variety of projects—from breaking news to months-long investigations
- Report, develop and produce original and compelling data visualizations and maps that work across digital platforms and devices
You’ll need to have:
- 2+ years of professional experience in a role that produces data visualizations
- Experience rendering graphics in the browser with SVG and/or Canvas
- Strong visual design skills with solid understanding of layout, typography and user experience
- Familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience in data reporting, e.g. the ability to collect, manage, munge, explore and analyze data from various sources and formats. Many of us use R and Python for this process, but we welcome other methods
- Fluency in both spoken and written English
If you think you'd be a good fit to join us, submit an application and include a resume, a brief letter telling us about yourself and a portfolio that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of data journalism, graphic design and development. Include a link to your Github account if you have one.
We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/about
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.