Senior Java Engineer - Data Services
New York, NY
Posted Nov 22, 2021 - Requisition No. 97862
Are you interested in working with us to architect and implement systems that will empower different products in Bloomberg to meet the growing data needs of financial firms around the world? If this sounds interesting to you please hit apply now!
Engineering Data Services group is responsible for Core data and Analytics services used across Bloomberg’s application teams. We deal with challenges of large scale distributed systems related to large volume requests, low latencies, high availability and overall system reliability. Our service stack currently runs on over 900 machines and serves over 350 billion requests a day. With ever increasing data volumes and growth of Bloomberg’s Enterprise products, this footprint has been growing at a rapid pace year over year.
Our team provides federated APIs for retrieval of large amounts of current and historical data and metadata. We work closely with the CTO office, Product, and Data teams in Bloomberg to also provide other foundational services such as Entity ID translation, Classification and Relationships for our Bloomberg Query Language (BQL), the next generation analytics and screening engine for financial datasets.
The team is currently building new Infrastructure to Classify millions of Entities using large scale distributed processing and storing Universes of Entities under various classification schemes. We also just began work on an exciting greenfield project to build out an Entity Relationship Master (ERM) system for Bloomberg data. We envision a metagraph to help navigate and discover relationships across disparate and disconnected datasets. The infrastructure is being built using W3C recommended Semantic Web technologies leveraging graph databases. For example, a system like this can help support a cross entity domain query to find the risk exposure of investing in companies located in places which are severely affected by Covid-19.
We are looking for experienced software engineers who can contribute towards this exciting effort by designing and developing low latency, high performance distributed systems. This would involve collaborating with product managers, engineers and data professionals across various teams in Bloomberg for idea generation, design, build and productionization of the infrastructure.
In essence, we'll trust you to:
- Design, implement and own critical components of our services stack
- Experiment, and evaluate software systems
- Write, test, and maintain production-quality scalable code
- Have a collaborative, team oriented mindset which is key to our success
- Demonstrate technical leadership by owning cross-team projects
You'll need to have:
- 5+ years of experience developing high volume distributed systems and optimizing for low latency and high scalability
- Deep understanding of object oriented design, data structures, algorithms, multithreading along with strong coding skills in Java, C# or C++
- Experience with Database design and SQL
- Good problem solving and communication skills with experience of leading projects from ideation to delivery
- Experience with Test Driven Development, and CI/CD tools like Jenkins
- A BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field.
We’d love to see:
- Python working knowledge
- Experience with one or more of following technologies: Cassandra, HBase, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, Spark
- Experience or familiarity with Linked Data/ Semantic Web technologies (eg: RDF, OWL, SPARQL) and graph databases (eg. RDF triple stores or property graph databases)
- Familiarity with Java functional programming and knowledge of reactive programming techniques
We are a diverse team of engineers where collaboration drives innovation through Tech Talks, Lunch & Learns, Women in DNA Meetups and Reading Group where we discuss and learn about varied topics. Engineers from the team have also attended and presented in various conferences like Grace Hopper Conference, Knowledge Graph Conference etc.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.