GFANZ Technical Lead – Net Zero Transition Planning (12 Month Contract)
Posted Nov 24, 2021 - Requisition No. 97983
The Glasgow Financial Alliance for Net Zero (GFANZ) is a coalition of leading financial institutions committed to accelerating the decarbonization of the global economy. Our members currently include over 450 financial firms responsible for assets in excess of $130 trillion across 45 countries. Members must use science-based guidelines to gain net-zero emissions, cover all emission scopes, include 2030 interim targets and commit to visible reporting and accounting. Working with our partners who supervise the United Nations Race to Zero Campaign, we’re passionate about broadening, deepening and raising net-zero ambitions across the financial system and demonstrating firms’ collective commitments to supporting companies and countries to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement. Learn more about GFANZ at www.gfanzero.com.
Bloomberg will be supporting the GFANZ Secretariat moving forward. We are looking to fill a number of workstream “technical lead” roles to assist the GFANZ Secretariat. Selected individuals will be tasked with being the go-to technical authority on one or multiple of GFANZ’s area of work, working across the GFANZ Secretariat and GFANZ coordinating bodies (e.g., the Steering Group and Advisory Panel), to ensure a high level of difficulty and impact of the work. Technical leads are not expected to do this alone; depending on workstream area, leads may be able to use management consulting support, Secretariat member staff time, workstream taskforce member time (i.e., from GFANZ member firms), and/or talent seconded to GFANZ from other organizations and/or Bloomberg. To discover more about the GFANZ’s workstreams please read the relevant chapter of GFANZ’s Progress Report, published at COP26: https://assets.bbhub.io/company/sites/63/2021/11/GFANZ-Progress-Report.pdf
We’ll trust you to:
- Serve as the primary project manager and technical lead on some of GFANZ’s technical workstreams; serve as ultimately responsible for ensuring workstream activities and work product are of high quality
- Support technical workstream staff leaders (e.g., the CSOs from GFANZ Principal Group CEO firms) including helping set workstream strategy, goals/objectives, activities, and work product – all while maintaining the spirit of GFANZ’s work being practitioner-led
- Co-create with workstream staff leads forward-looking work plans and workstream achievements and lead each workstream’s efforts toward them
- Coordinate with other workstream technical leads to ensure activities, work product, and goals are cross-complementary with GFANZ’s overall program of work
- Serve as a primary drafter of technical content development in reports and other workstream collateral, leveraging support from workstream taskforce members, GFANZ management consultants, Secretariat staff, and/or any GFANZ secondees
- Work with the GFANZ ecosystem including Advisory Panel, sub-sector alliances, member firms, taskforce members, and others to effectively solicit and incorporate feedback on technical work product and workstream activities
- Ensure work product and workstream activities incorporate the perspectives of the diverse types of financial institutions that are part of GFANZ
- Engage with other areas of the ‘climate finance’ ecosystem to ensure workstream work is tied in as needed to other related/ongoing efforts, that the workstream incorporates the views of key collaborators, and is not duplicating work happening in other parts of the ecosystem
- Represent the workstream to external and internal groups and team members
- Support the GFANZ Secretariat on other one-off needs related to research, content development, meeting prep/participation, and more
You’ll need to have:
- 8-10+ years experience working in financial services, public policy and climate/environmental subject areas with a proven understanding of the financial services value chain
- Specific and deep expertise in financial institution net zero transition planning; this includes familiarity with leading transition plan frameworks, carbon accounting methods (e.g., PCAF), target setting methodologies, climate scenario models, and other relevant technical knowledge areas
- Ability to work with stakeholders at the sub-sector level of the financial industry to develop perspectives and solutions to transition plan-relevant challenges, and drive GFANZ guidance/recommendations on net zero transition planning
- Strong collaborator who understands the complexity of engaging multiple audiences and navigating their diverse interests and goals
- Excellent organizational abilities and can lead multiple pieces of work in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- The ability to balance immediate and long-term priorities, and handle own workload
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral, and strong negotiation and consensus building skills; ability to connect with financial institution practitioners and NGOs alike
- Strong secondary research skills and ability to synthesize large amounts of information into productive, understandable text
- Excellent writing abilities including short memo writing and longer-form research/report writing and experience with Excel and PowerPoint
- Graduated with a Bachelor's degree, preferably with a focus or concentration in finance, sustainability, or a related field
- We will consider all applicants who are able to demonstrate the skills vital for the role
In place of a formal cover letter, please submit a short statement of interest (<250 words) describing how your experience, expertise, and interest are most aligned to this role; in addition, please list your intended work location (we encourage applicants from a variety of locations, so please apply even if you do not live in the location listed on this job description)
Does this sound like you?
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is committed to diversity. It drives our innovation. At Bloomberg, you'll have the opportunity to go above and beyond and to take risks. You'll be a part of an organization that is entering new markets, launching new ventures, and pushing boundaries. Our ever-expanding array of technology, data, news, and media services champions innovation and empowers clients -- and offers nearly limitless opportunities for career growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.