BloombergNEF - Energy Modeling Analyst
Posted Dec 13, 2021 - Requisition No. 98816
We are seeking a talented and highly engaged individual to join our Modeling Team and support the firm’s flagship energy scenario analysis, the New Energy Outlook.
You are someone with a passion for the energy sector who wants to be at the forefront of the transition to a net-zero emissions economy.
You have a strong bias towards critical quantitative analysis and logic, and approach complex topics in an original and creative way.
You are able to communicate your ideas confidently and effectively both within and outside the organization and build networks to support this.
Teamwork is important to you and you are excited by the prospect of working with, and learning from, smart colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds with different interests and expertise.
You will be based in our London office as a member of the Modeling Team in BloombergNEF’s (BNEF) Chief Economist Department. You will work closely with colleagues in Energy Economics as well as technology and country-level specialist researchers around the world.
BloombergNEF is the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. With the unique depth and breadth of our comprehensive BNEF platform, we help clients stay on top of developments across the energy spectrum.
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don't rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
We'll trust you to:
- Use your analytical and technical skills to become a thought-leader on modeling the big questions and challenges facing the energy industry.
- Translate complex concepts into functional and robust models and tools, and craft and engineer them to be clear and easy to use, and relevant to our clients’ needs.
- Author, publish and present supporting methodology, user guides and research reports in clear English and with graphics for both internal and external client and prospect audiences.
- Value diversity of perspective and be open to new approaches and ways of thinking.
What's the role?
You will join us as an energy modeling analyst within the Modeling Team, reporting to the Head of Modelling, all based in London.
As part of a team, you will develop quantitative models and other computational tools to support both internal research and to help our clients take a lead on the unfolding energy transition. More specifically you will be required to:
- Produce complex models and develop supporting code in high-level languages such as Excel VBA and Python.
- Collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues, clients and the wider modeling community from different cultures and countries to stay at the very forefront of energy modeling.
- Develop and execute test plans to validate your work for correct function.
- Be a point-source of technical excellence within BNEF.
You'll need to have:
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- A desire to understand, interpret and explain complex problems.
- Confidence with building models and undertaking quantitative analysis.
- Good communication skills for writing clear, concise guides and reports in English and for presenting graphical data.
- A rigorous approach to accuracy, validation and testing.
- A degree in science, engineering or economics.
- An ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions and approaches by cutting through data noise, questioning its veracity, extracting key patterns, adopting constructive skepticism of industry participants and asking insightful questions.
- Curiosity and the ability to quickly understand, distil and relate complex topics to non-specialist audiences.
- Excellent time management skills and confidence working on multiple projects concurrently.
We'd love to see:
- Experience of developing models in the energy or related sectors utilizing and of software development in Python plus a working knowledge of SQL.
- A post-graduate degree with evidence of building your own models to support your research objectives and dissertation.
- In-depth knowledge of Excel, including advanced formulae, charting and VBA
- Specialist expertise in mathematical approaches to modeling such as econometrics or other statistical methods of analytical approach.
- Some experience in data science approaches to modeling.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or email@example.com