Data Acquisition Engineer
Posted Dec 14, 2021 - Requisition No. 98936
At Bloomberg, our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Acquisition Engineering, we’re responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
Our goal is to innovate, and therefore we welcome diverse skills, experiences, and ideas. Our focus is on data acquisition, processing and distribution. We are looking for people who are self motivated, think big and move fast to contribute to our dynamic environment. Last but certainly not least, you’ll be trusted to bring curiosity, passion, and an entrepreneurial spirit to the table. Together, we will change the way we develop products at Bloomberg.
You’ll be joining a team responsible for Data Acquisition, one of the core services provided by Data Technologies Engineering. The team is responsible for using and developing cutting-edge technologies to redefine our content & data acquisition tools. Working in a team environment, you will develop technical solutions that not only improve how we acquire content, but also how we inventory, enrich, classify, and route that content to the teams that require it. This will mean anything from building web-scrapers, developing pipelines that will enrich acquired content, to working with stakeholders to implement these solutions to meet their business needs.
Now, here’s what else we’ll expect you to do:
- Develop configurable systems and methods for acquiring content from internal and external sources
- Monitor, maintain and troubleshoot issues for the production systems & acquisition processes you are responsible for
- Communicate consistently with project stakeholders throughout the development life-cycle
- Collaborate with product owners, data analysts, data scientists and infrastructure engineers to develop creative solutions
- Apply problem-solving skills to find the most optimal approach to acquire content from target data sources
Successful applicants will likely possess:
- A self-starter attitude, creative problem solving skills, and experience with diverse data processes and systems
- Excellent communication skills, especially when explaining technical processes and solutions to business stakeholders and management
- Flexible and adaptable style; who can positively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives
- Legal authorization to work full-time in the United States and will not require visa sponsorship now or in the future
- A BA/BS degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Finance, or relevant data technology field, or at least 2 years of professional work experience in software development, data engineering or information technology
We would love to see:
- Applied Python development experience
- Proficiency with git, linux, python ecosystem, web services and API usage
- Experience with SQL & NoSQL database systems
- Demonstrated experience in web crawling
- Full spectrum of project management skills: ideation, prioritization, communication, delivery
- Familiarity with general news and company news sources
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We bring out the best in each other.