Systems Infrastructure SRE - Managed Services
New York, NY
Posted Apr 21, 2022 - Requisition No. 99003
The energy of a newsroom, the pace of a trading floor, the buzz of a recent tech breakthrough; we work hard, and we work fast - while keeping up the quality and accuracy we're known for. It's what keeps us inventing and reinventing, all the time. Our culture is wide open, just like our spaces. We bring out the best in each other through collaboration. Through our countless volunteer projects, we also help network with the communities around us, too. You can do amazing work here. Work you couldn't do anywhere else. It's up to you to make it happen.
Bloomberg's Systems Infrastructure Managed Services SRE team is trusted to administer the end-to-end environment for Bloomberg's installation of numerous service providing technologies such as: RabbitMQ, Kafka, Comdb2, Redis and more – which support the applications that constitute Bloomberg’s line of products. On any given day we're inventing, engineering, developing, building, coding, trouble-shooting and maintaining a wide range of: tools, monitors, frameworks, interfaces, protocols, solutions and best-practices. These components stitch together a robust suite of automated and self-healing systems that manage the services that Systems Infrastructure provides to the rest of the firm. We maximize uptime, provision and balance resources, architect and coordinate operational procedures, administer backup and recovery processes, coordinate maintenance windows, manage replication and oversee workflows.
What's in it for you:
In addition to managing the overall Systems Infrastructure environment, you'll work directly on installations of technologies and Runtime Services such as RabbitMQ, Comdb2, Kafka, Redis and more; getting to collaborate every day with the application developers that create these applications to integrate the services they provide into the Bloomberg operational environment as well as Bloomberg products. So, not only will you have high-level-ownership and "the classic SRE responsibilities" such as: system tuning, performance analysis and the management of patches, installations, and upgrades; you'll also have immediate access to the experts that are designing and coding the Bloomberg specific components, APIs and methods. This means insight and entry to the lowest levels of how Bloomberg applications interact with each other and the Systems Infrastructure environment for the purposes of both in-depth troubleshooting and enhancing stability, reliability, performance and feature-set.
We're open to trying new ideas, processes, and technologies. The right applicant will be imaginative, creative, self-motivated, and highly curious as innovation and initiative are highly valued here. Problem-solving, programming, logical frameworks, and Unix systems should all be second nature. We are looking for someone that will continually strive to improve our environment; regularly asking “why?” and saying: “we can make this better!”
You need to have:
- 3+ years experience developing utilities and tools in Python
- 5+ years experience with Unix, Unix tools and shell scripting
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP networking and the OSI model
- Experience designing and automating repeatable processes in a client/server modeled environment
- Experience supporting a highly available production system
- Ability to build and maintain highly complex, performant, and scalable, mission-critical systems
- Experience building monitors and alarms for system performance, status and stability
- Experience with CI/CD systems and writing robust unit and system tests
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
We'd love to see:
- Experience analyzing existing systems and identifying shortcomings with concrete ideas for improvement
- C programming skills
- Experience designing stable, long-lasting APIs
- Experience with Splunk/Humio and Grafana
- Experience with GitHub and JIRA.
- Passion for product ownership
If this sounds like you, please apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.