Engineering Team Leader - Trading Systems SRE
New York, NY
Posted Dec 17, 2021 - Requisition No. 99033
In the Trade Automation and Execution (TRAX) group, we build trading systems and platforms for executing ever-growing volumes of trades. We work across all of Bloomberg’s trading systems to provide core infrastructure, execution, and analytics functionality. Every day, more than a hundred thousand people use the high-impact functionality that we build to trade trillions of dollars and stay ahead of the competition. We intend to maintain this position by engineering and innovating at the enterprise scale, so we’re looking for excellent engineers at all levels to help build our next steps.
The TRAX Observability team's core mission is to deeply understand the client experience. We enable data-driven decisions by using our most accurate source of data, the production system itself. We partner with other engineering teams to build enterprise-class, high-performing systems. We drive the adoption of fundamental SRE practices such as Service Level Indicators (SLIs), Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and Error Budgets and develop the platforms necessary to support these practices. We invest in making our systems more observable to detect and prevent issues before they impact our customers. We build applications to make use of the observability data.
We work closely with engineering teams of all types, from back-end systems to the user interface. We lead reliability-focused discussions with product, helping them to express their reliability needs as actionable initiatives and balance them alongside new features. We use code-pairing sessions to give engineering teams hands-on support with implementation. To enable our group to achieve our observability goals, we provide instrumentation frameworks such as our client-side UserInteraction library for capturing what our customers are actually experiencing.
As the leader of this team, we'll trust you to:
- Inspire and motivate a high-performing team to achieve great results, while supporting individual growth and development
- Lead the development of technical solutions to meet current and future reliability needs
- Create a strong and collaborative team environment focused on delivering value and increasing our capabilities
- Lead on hiring to scale your high-performing team
- Develop strong partnerships across globally-located engineering and business teams
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience as an engineering people manager, leading technical teams (including team building and individual development, mentorship and coaching, performance reviews, recruiting and technical leadership).
- The ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive team environment through driving a strong culture of teamwork.
- The skills to effectively listen to, communicate with, challenge and influence team members, peers and senior managers, locally and remotely.
- Exposure to running live production systems, including triaging and resolving outages.
- Software development experience with an object-oriented language.
- A deep understanding of large-scale distributed system architectures.
- The ability to contribute directly to projects through hands-on development as well as through effective delegation.
- A deep understanding of distributed systems architecture
- A growth mindset, we are all still learning and we expect you to as well
We'd love to see:
- A deep understanding of telemetry concepts such as metrics and distributed tracing
- A passion for reliability and a customer-centric mindset
- The ability to “sneak” SLO into any conversation
- Experience working with or leading an SRE team
- Experience working on a global team, or with stakeholders in a remote office
- Keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and incorporating new technology into existing systems
Sound like you? Great, submit an application and we’ll be in touch!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.