Senior Climate Data Specialist
Posted Dec 21, 2021 - Requisition No. 99085
At Bloomberg we are committed to fighting the battle against climate change. That’s why we’re taking action, using our expertise in data – and decades of experience leading from the front – to tackle climate change from every angle. Climate change is changing the way market participants allocate capital, and the ability for businesses and investors to understand their climate related impacts, risks, and mitigation pathways is crucial.
Our products are fueled by powerful information. We combine data and context to paint the whole picture for our clients, around the clock – from around the world. In Global Data, we are responsible for delivering this data, news and analytics through innovative technology - quickly and accurately.
As a team, we are responsible for improving and reporting climate related content for Bloomberg, as well as for work across ESG and key climate initiatives including the GFANZ initiative. GFANZ is a coalition of leading financial institutions committed to accelerating the decarbonization of the global economy. members currently include over 450 financial firms responsible for assets in excess of $130 trillion across 45 countries. We’re focused on broadening, deepening and raising net-zero ambitions across the financial system and demonstrating firms’ collective commitments to supporting companies and countries to achieve the goals set at COP26.
In this role, you will act as a secondee from the Bloomberg Global Data department on to the GFANZ team. As part of the GFANZ team you will have an enormous impact on supporting the global financial sector’s work to stop climate change and ensuring that financing and capital allocation decisions occur in ways that enable the world to reach net zero by 2050 in line with the objectives of the Paris Agreement.
We'll trust you to:
- Manage large and complex data projects related to Climate datasets, with a particular focus on industry and company specific emissions reduction targets and decarbonization pathways
- Serve as a subject matter expert to drive our product deliverables and navigate across internal and external partner groups
- Liaise with other departments, such as Bloomberg NEF and Bloomberg Intelligence to deliver superior analysis and outputs relating to GFANZ workstreams
- Maintain a constant presence in the industry through networking and leading at conferences and events.
- Build industry relationships to source content that is not publicly available
- Apply subject-matter-expertise to set and maintain methodologies for data management
- BA/BS in Environmental Science, Economics, Finance, Political Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or other quantitative science
- Demonstrated experience working within the climate science, climate finance or climate policy space
- Deep knowledge of transition pathways for high emitting industries, with strong preference for familiarity with emissions reduction target setting and climate-related disclosure frameworks such as SBTI and TCFD
- A collaborative approach and exceptional relationship building and communication skills – both written and verbal
You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Master's degree in, Environmental Science, Sustainability, Economics, Public Policy, Engineering, Mathematics, MBA, or related field preferred/CFA or CAIA designation
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and demonstrated applied data analysis skills, with proficiency using Excel as well as experience with SQL or Python
- Ability to read/write in a language other than English
- Previous work experience with the Bloomberg Terminal
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org