Big Tech Reporter
New York, NY
Posted Jan 14, 2022 - Requisition No. 99574
The energy of a newsroom. The pace of a trading floor. At Bloomberg, we connect decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas. At the core of this network is our ability to deliver data, news and analytics through innovative technology – quickly and accurately. Around the clock, around the globe – we empower business leaders with breaking news, expert opinion and proprietary data distributed across platforms.
Bloomberg News is one of the world's biggest and most influential news organizations. Our Global Technology team closely covers the companies and entrepreneurs that are changing the world. We're seeking a talented, enthusiastic and creative reporter to join our award-winning team in San Francisco to cover Alphabet Inc. and Google, with a particular focus on artificial intelligence and automation. We’re looking for someone eager to break news and write stories on AI innovations and products from across the industry, including the internet search and advertising giant, other tech companies, and disruptive AI startups. The coverage mandate includes fast-paced news and analysis as well as deeper, longer-term stories and projects on both Alphabet and the larger AI landscape. We’re also looking for someone who can incorporate video, graphics and data journalism into their newsgathering and reporting routine.
Who we're looking for:
You're an experienced, agile reporter with a deep rolodex of technology industry contacts and an intimate knowledge of Google and other important companies, products and innovations. How many insiders and researchers at big technology companies do you know personally, and how comfortable are they talking with you outside the reach of PR handlers? How deeply do you understand artificial intelligence technologies and applications, and the business and ethical questions that go along with the proliferation of AI? Beyond following the news and writing about its impact, you aspire to drive change through stories that question assumptions, uncover wrongdoing, spark debate, and spur regulators and lawmakers into action. You’re versatile enough to react quickly and write clearly on the most pressing breaking news of the day, while still pursuing more ambitious and impactful investigations. Can you file a FOIA request in the morning and, later that afternoon, submit a breaking news story in 10 minutes? You’ll be able to write for a variety of platforms, including the Bloomberg terminal, the web, Bloomberg TV and QuickTake videos, and Bloomberg Businessweek magazine.
We'll trust you to:
- Lean on existing sources and develop new ones to generate intelligent, influential news
- Write original, feature-length stories about Google and other big technology companies and how they are impacting consumers, rivals, the market, the economy, and society in general, with a specific focus on AI.
- Break news with speed and accuracy
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on the Global Technology team and others across teams and regions
- Be committed to the best journalistic practices, sound judgment and a willingness to learn
You'll need to have:
- Minimum of three years of technology journalism experience
- Strong knowledge of and interest in the industry
- A solid track record of breaking news and a portfolio of long-form investigative features
- The ability to write quickly and concisely under deadline pressure
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
If this sounds like you:
Apply today! We're eager to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.