Breaking News Editor (Arabic Speaker)
Posted Sep 23, 2021 - Requisition No. 95664
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic, versatile, and passionate journalist to join our Breaking News team in Abu Dhabi. Bloomberg is one of the world's biggest financial news organizations, leading the way in covering mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and other major events relevant to markets. Bloomberg's Breaking News team is fast and innovative, and our mission is to deliver this news to readers as quickly as possible, enabling our audience to stay a step ahead.
As a Breaking News editor you will be the first pair of eyes on any market-moving story out of the Gulf. You will watch the constant flow of information from a range of sources including regulatory wires, company websites and social media; use strong news judgement to decide what actually has potential to move markets; and relay that information in headlines and dispatches as quickly as possible, as clearly as possible, for our real-time clients. You'll take the lead when sovereign wealth funds or comments from energy ministers move markets, or when the world's most valuable company makes an important announcement. You'll deepen your understanding of geopolitics and commodity markets by helping cover OPEC+, and expand your international network at a global media organization.
This role also requires you to be Bloomberg's eyes and ears in Abu Dhabi as a reporter. You will report and write on sovereign wealth funds, energy companies, banks and government entities in the UAE's capital. You will collaborate closely with colleagues in the region to produce timely, incisive and exclusive coverage that is relevant to global audiences.
Breaking News editors thrive in a high-pressure environment, aren't afraid to make split-second decisions, and love surprises. When unexpected news breaks, we will jump in to cover it rather than hang back and wait for someone else to take the first step. We work well with both people and technology. We understand what serious market participants are looking for amid the daily deluge of information, and we're adept at separating the wheat from the chaff on social media. If this sounds like you, we want you to join our Breaking News team in the Middle East.
We'll trust you to:
- Make fast and decisive judgement calls on breaking news stories, including M&A, IPOs, corporate earnings, government news and other events in the Middle East
- Stay poised and focused in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Unearth news from traditional and new-media sources
- Report on Abu Dhabi-based companies, wealth funds and government bodies
- Stay on top of major news stories and trends that matter to market participants
- Write potentially market-moving first versions of stories, quickly and accurately
- Write longer stories based on on-the-ground reporting, interviews, and enterprise work
- Collaborate with Bloomberg reporters and editors in the Gulf and across the world
- Be a constructive, flexible, and dependable team player
You need to have:
- Fluency in Arabic
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Three to five years of experience covering financial and business news
- Proven skill at collaborating and working across teams to accomplish goals
- Flexibility with hours and assignments. News is unpredictable!
We’d also love to see:
- Experience working in a real-time news environment
- Familiarity with social media and ability to evaluate the credibility of information from such sources
- Familiarity with automation, machine learning and/or natural language processing
If this sounds like you:
Apply! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know the next steps.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.