BloombergNEF Energy Storage Analyst, Beijing
Posted May 12, 2022 - Requisition No. 103518
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our energy storage team in Beijing to cover the energy storage market in China. They will also be responsible for ensuring our data on global battery manufacturing and energy storage is robust.
You will be based in our Beijing office, working as part of a global research team at BloombergNEF (BNEF) – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. Our data-driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
BNEF Team ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
You will join as an analyst responsible for closely following and analyzing the energy storage market in China and a data expert for our global team coverage. The work will entail tracking the energy storage market closely, analyzing power market fundamentals that support growth of energy storage markets, while also helping to manage the team's proprietary datasets. You will be responsible for ensuring the approach to collecting, storing, and analyzing this data is robust and uses the latest data technologies.
Together with colleagues across Bloomberg, you will conduct independent research, generate insightful findings and identify energy storage analysis and data tools that are relevant to clients. You will also help maintain and enhance any datasets developed by BloombergNEF's energy storage team where relevant.
You will collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries, in person and remotely. You’ll also develop an internal and external network of industry contacts to gather insights, identify trends and collect information. You will be working with colleagues and clients based around the world – periodic travel is expected.
We will trust you to:
- Become an expert on the energy storage sector and the wider clean energy industry
- Research, analyze and write about the latest developments in the sector, including policy developments, technology trends, clean energy deployment, competitive analysis of key player strategies, and other relevant topics.
- Be proficient on the development and maintenance of successful datasets, specifically within the energy space;
- Write and publish reports in English;
- Conduct fundamental market analysis in Excel;
- Maintain the data quality for multiple large proprietary databases relating to energy storage and battery manufacturing;
- Use analytical tools such as Python and SQL to query and analyze these datasets to provide relevant insights to clients;
- Explain your research to clients via email, telephone and in-person meetings;
- Build a reputation in industry for your insightful commentary and analysis of the sector. Work with BNEF’s Analytics and Data team to identify and implement improvements to our data strategy.
Deliver presentations at industry events;
You need to have:
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the energy industry and the energy transition
- Degree in a related field, or a strong willingness to learn coupled with a quantitative background
- Experience working on data projects, querying large databases and using analytical tools such as Python and SQL
- Have fluent English and good communication skills: writing (for research projects) and speaking (for presentations)
- Have fluent Mandarin (writing and speaking)
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgment to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions.
- Good time management skills, initiative and ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Have an excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
We would love to see:
- A Masters’ Degree in business, finance, science or engineering
- Prior experience analyzing the energy markets through an internship, academic research, or prior work experience
- Battery industry or technology expertise
- Additional language skills (particularly Japanese or Korean) is a plus
If this sounds like you, apply today!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.