BloombergNEF Energy Storage Analyst, Beijing
Posted May 19, 2022 - Requisition No. 103743
BloombergNEF (BNEF) is seeking a talented, highly motivated individual to join our energy storage team in Beijing to cover battery manufacturing and technologies. The analyst will be responsible for analyzing trends in battery technologies in China and keeping up-to-date with major battery manufacturers as this industry continues to scale at an incredible pace. You will support BNEF analysis on a fast-growing industry.
You will be based in our Beijing office, working as part of a global research team at BloombergNEF (BNEF) – the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading change in the energy system. Our data-driven research helps clients stay on top of developments across the energy sector, supported by the unique depth and breadth of the Bloomberg Terminal and bnef.com platforms.
BNEF Team ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
You will join as an analyst responsible for closely following and analyzing the battery industry in China, collaborating with the global energy storage research team to form a view on technologies, costs and competitive landscape. The work will entail following key battery makers and component manufacturers and will include using, building and enhancing in-house models to quantify growth, cost trends and other relevant metrics.
We expect the analyst will collaborate with electric vehicle, metals and power analysts to analyze how battery technologies will evolve considering supply and demand decisions across industries. The role entails writing reports and presenting to research to clients in both English and Mandarin.
Together with colleagues across Bloomberg, you will conduct independent research, generate insightful findings and identify energy storage analysis and data tools that are relevant to clients. You will also help maintain and enhance any datasets developed by BloombergNEF's energy storage team where relevant.
You will collaborate with a high degree of professionalism with colleagues and clients from different cultures and countries, in person and remotely. You’ll also develop an internal and external network of industry contacts to gather insights, identify trends and collect information. You will be working with colleagues and clients based around the world – periodic travel is expected.
We will trust you to:
- Become an expert on battery supply chain and technologies;
- Research, analyze and write about the latest developments in the sector, including policy developments, technology trends, competitive analysis of key player strategies, and other relevant topics;
- Collaborate with transport, metals and power research teams to best support analysis related to batteries;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of successful datasets, specifically within the energy storage;
- Write and publish reports in English;
- Conduct fundamental market analysis in Excel;
- Use SQL and Bloomberg databases to access data that is used in analysis;
- Explain your research to clients via email, telephone and in-person meetings;
- Deliver presentations at industry events;
- Build a reputation in industry for your insightful commentary and analysis of the sector.
You need to have:
- Interest in and enthusiasm for the energy industry and the energy transition
- Degree in electrochemistry, chemistry, materials science or a related field,
- Have fluent English and good communication skills: writing (for research projects) and speaking (for presentations)
- Have fluent Mandarin (writing and speaking)
- Ability to think critically and develop thoughtful opinions by cutting through the noise of data, finding key patterns, applying judgment to the claims of industry participants and asking insightful questions.
- Good time management skills, initiative and ability to work on multiple projects at once
- Have an excellent working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
We would love to see:
- A Masters’ Degree in business, finance, science or engineering
- Knowledge of electrochemical energy storage technologies, electronics engineering, or battery pack design
- Knowledge of battery supply chain and manufacturing processes
- Interest in chemistry and materials science
- Battery industry expertise
- Confidence with mathematical and accounting calculations
- Additional language skills (particularly Japanese or Korean) is a plus
If this sounds like you, apply today!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com.