BloombergNEF: Oil and Gas Data Analyst - Beijing
Posted Feb 7, 2019 - Requisition No. 73535
We are seeking a talented individual to join our China analysis team in Beijing.
You're one of those people who have a real passion for commodity markets, and want to be at the forefront of this rapidly changing industry. You have a high interest in problem solving, can track down data through primary or secondary research, take raw numbers and turn them into actionable insights. Your quantitative skills are strong, and you love to analyze critically complex subjects. Teamwork is important to you, and you are excited by the prospect of working with colleagues and clients from a diverse range of backgrounds.
You will be based in our Beijing office as part of the China analyst team, for Bloomberg NEF - the world's leading independent provider of analysis, tools, data and research to decision makers leading the future of energy, transport and commodities. Our team of experts, spread across six continents, provides independent analysis and insight, working with the largest corporations across utilities and generation, oil & gas, resource firms, equipment manufacturers, banking and finance, and government.
Available online, on mobile and on the Terminal, BNEF is powered by Bloomberg’s global network of 19,000 employees in 176 locations, reporting 5,000 news stories a day. Visit https://about.bnef.com or request more information via https://about.bnef.com/contact .
BNEF Team Ethos:
To succeed at BNEF we need people who can work in an independent manner and show initiative to develop their own viewpoints, yet be collaborative with colleagues. We don’t rely on the status quo, we look for innovative yet pragmatic thinking that turns big ideas into real insights and impact. Working at BNEF sometimes feels chaotic; we need teams that are both dynamic and structured to generate the unique perspectives our clients really value. Our teams are diverse, creative, focused, and fun!
What's the role?
You will be responsible for acquiring oil and gas related policies and data in China, verifying the information we collect and storing and maintaining them into database. You will also be doing quantitative analysis on the data. The work will require analytical and programming skills and coordination with external data providers, internal product, research and commercial teams to ensure timely support for the research and commercial activities. It is an excellent opportunity to gain knowledge and exposure to a growing industry and work with a highly dynamic and collaborative team.
We'll trust you to:
- Search and collect policy, demand, supply, cost and price data and other related information about China’s oil and gas industry.
- Clean the raw data, and categorise, and store it systematically in our database.
- Conduct quantitative analysis on the data according to research requirement.
- Work closely with our external data providers to check data quality and convert external data into our own database.
- Work closely with our analysis team to understand their data demands and support their research.
- Work closely with our product and commercial teams to ensure timely publication and output of our data related products.
You'll need to have:
- A degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering, energy economics
- Previous experience working in data management
- Familiarity with oil and gas industry in China
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills
- Native level Mandarin Chinese reading, writing and speaking ability
- Fluency in English
- Good organisation skills and ability to multi-task
- Open mind and quick learning curve
We'd love to see:
- 1-3 years of experience working at data related job
- Comprehensive knowledge of oil and gas industry
- Post-graduate qualifications or professional experience in energy, economics, project finance and/or commodities trading
- Excellent analytical and programming skill
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match. We'll get in touch to let you know what the next steps are, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: www.blpcareers.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any adjustments to be made for the recruitment process by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.