German Government Reporter
Posted Aug 3, 2021 - Requisition No. 92913
Bloomberg News seeks an experienced reporter to cover German and European politics in Berlin. We're looking for a well-connected, self-starting journalist who will work with a network of reporters from Brussels to Bucharest, breaking news and writing memorable stories from the heart of Europe’s biggest economy.
From EU integration to the green revolution and the struggle to deal with the rise of China, Germany’s position is critical. The arrival of a new chancellor to follow Angela Merkel will only heighten the scrutiny on Berlin. Germany’s next leader will also need to steer the country out of the pandemic, upgrade the economy for the tech era and contain the threat of populism.
Alongside it all, there will be complex relationships in Europe to manage.
You’ll need to delve into this and more, pairing up with colleagues across teams and regions to chase scoops. Your understanding of business and economics will allow you to write authoritatively about trade and the increasing support for national champions.
You'll be able to see the big picture, even as your grasp of the detail enables you to digest complex documents quickly. You’ll need stamina to tackle summits that can go on all night but you’ll be rewarded by being in the thick of some of the most important stories of the day.
We'll also expect you to contribute to our various platforms, including QuickTake, radio, television and our Balance of Power newsletter.
We’ll trust you to:
- Develop sources and sniff out news at the highest levels of the German government
- Work hand in glove with reporters and editors across the newsroom to deliver maximum impact for our readers
- Produce high-level features
You’ll need to have:
- Fluency in English and German
- A deep understanding of German government and the intersection of politics, business and finance
- At least five years’ experience in political, financial or business journalism
- A proven track record of breaking news
- Ability to work steadily and calmly under pressure
- Confidence interpreting and handling data
- Ideas on how to compliment your story-telling with visual, audio, graphics
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org