Climate Policy Analyst/Associate (1 year contract)
Posted Jun 20, 2023 - Requisition No. 117150
About the job:
Bloomberg delivers critical information in a world where information matters. We give influential decision-makers in business, finance, and government a competitive edge by connecting them to a dynamic network of information, people, and ideas, delivered through innovative technology. Our people work well under pressure and thrive in a team environment.
As part of Bloomberg's External Relations department, our Global Public Policy team is responsible for leading engagement with Government and Regulatory authorities in relation to policy formation impacting Bloomberg and our clients and leading the firm's external climate finance initiatives. Our international team builds and maintains a broad network of partners and key decision makers - including clients, policymakers, and regulators - which we convene regularly to constructively feed into policy making processes and climate finance initiatives.
The Climate Finance Leadership Initiative (CFLI) was formed in 2018 by Michael R. Bloomberg at the request of the United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, to lead a private sector initiative to “support a global mobilization of private finance in response to the challenge of climate change.” Bloomberg’s Global Public Policy team leads the Secretariat for CFLI’s two Country Pilots, located in Colombia and India.
Launched in partnership with the Colombian government, City of London Corporation, and the Global Infrastructure Facility, CFLI Colombia convenes leading Colombian and international financial institutions and corporations to support and test new sector-specific financing and enabling environment solutions that can vastly accelerate capital deployment for the transition to clean energy and reaching net-zero emissions by 2050. This role will support and report into the CFLI Colombia Secretariat Lead, focusing on the day-to-day management of the initiative, including reviewing and leveraging public and energy policy.
We’ll trust you to:
- Conduct relevant policy- and energy-related research and articulate the impacts to CFLI Colombia’s work, and support the development of policy proposals.
- Support the day-to-day management of CFLI Colombia including developing status reports, presentations, facilitation briefs, meeting memos, and note taking. Represent CFLI Colombia and Bloomberg in various external meetings and maintain relationships with clients, partners, and other stakeholders across the climate finance ecosystem.
- Work closely with the broader CFLI team on program and event management, communications, marketing, to build connective tissue for CFLI across Bloomberg.
- Assist with the preparation, coordination, and facilitation of CFLI Colombia-related events.
- 3+ years of experience working with/in public policy, government, development finance and/or climate/environmental subject areas.
- Deep understanding of Colombian government and policy and/or development finance.
- A high standard of excellence and a critical eye for detail.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret complex policy frameworks and language with the ability to identify critical components related to CFLI Colombia and its Members.
- Exceptional analytical skills, creativity, and a demonstrated interest in Colombian and climate policy and financial markets.
- Self-motivated and willing to work flexible hours with teams across various time zones.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills and experience drafting policy memos, recommendations, and briefings.
- Knowledge of financial institutions and financial products.
- Strong client servicing and interpersonal skills.
- Working understanding of Microsoft Suite (emphasis on PowerPoint) and effective presentation skills.
- Graduated with a bachelor’s degree, preferably with a focus on development, sustainability, or related fields.
- Fluent/professional writing and speaking proficiency in English and Spanish.
- Based in Bogota and willing to travel within Colombia.
- Strong relationships and network with other policy, environmental stakeholders, and/or government stakeholders.
- Passion for combining policy and politics with investing.
- Experience measuring and tracking impact metrics/key performance indicators
- Experience with the Bloomberg Terminal.
You’ll need to have/be:
We’d love to see:
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.