Texas Bureau Chief
Posted Jul 1, 2022 - Requisition No. 105118
Bloomberg News is looking for a dynamic journalist to lead its coverage of Texas, based in Dallas. We are looking for someone to report and edit on all facets of the state, from the regional financial center in Dallas, to the energy hub in Houston, to the explosive tech scene in Austin, to the maquiladoras along the U.S.-Mexico border. With a GDP second only to California in the United States, Texas is a economic, financial, regional and political powerhouse that Bloomberg News readers want to understand more clearly. The Texas Bureau Chief will be responsible for assigning, writing and producing coverage that recognizes the state's growth as a home to Goldman Sachs, Tesla, Samsung and a burgeoning crypto-mining scene, all against a backdrop of demographic changes and political battles that will shape the state's future.
Bloomberg News has three offices in the state -- Dallas, Houston and Austin -- and the Texas Bureau Chief will work closely with bureau leaders in Houston and Austin while also heading the bureau in Dallas. In this way, we hope to generate coverage about the state that knits together the most important elements from its most important cities. The job requires someone with a strong sense about the way politics and business intersect, and who understands how to bring these topics to life for readers. This requires a leader adept at collaborating with teams that sit at the intersection of technology, finance, trade, immigration and markets, as well as an understanding of the complex workings of U.S. cities and states.
We will trust you to:
- Regularly break news and produce high-quality enterprise pieces on trends shaping this city
- Develop close relationships with the senior editors whose teams report on Texas through our bureaus there
- Maintain daily and regular communication with senior managers about stories in the region and offer ideas of how to turn them into content, print and otherwise
- Contribute to all platforms, including Bloomberg Television's offerings from San Francisco and elsewhere; Bloomberg Radio, Quicktake, Bloomberg.com and others
You will need:
- Exceptional news judgment
- A sense of urgency
- The capacity to work effectively across multiple teams in a collaborative manner
- Knowledge of the Texas economic and business landscape, along with politics, government, demographics and other factors particular to Texas and the surrounding region, including Mexico
- The ability to attract executives, government officials and other newsmakers for interviews inside and outside the bureau
Does this sound like you?
Apply! If we believe you’re a good match we'll get in touch to let you know the next steps.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com). Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org (mailto:email@example.com)