Senior Software Engineer/ SRE Edge Security
Posted Jul 6, 2022 - Requisition No. 105222
Bloomberg runs on data. It's our business and it's our product. It's why thousands of companies partner with us. We've surpassed petabytes of data, with no end in sight.
The Security Infrastructure SRE Team is essential for our ability to manage and scale security systems which support this scale at Bloomberg. This team is responsible for a broad set of systems that are essential for our ability to secure the enterprise and protect our client data. The solutions managed by this team cover a broad range of use cases and are built in collaboration with various stakeholders. To operate at scale, the push is to make provisioning of security infrastructure seamless and repeatable using infrastructure-as-code patterns and using various automation techniques. The team strives to quantify confidence in the systems they maintain and to drive additional confidence in the systems' ability to perform as expected. Through thorough monitoring and telemetry collection, the team can use past performance to predicate and understand future reliability. The team assumes nothing of the systems that they manage unless they are explicitly tested building further confidence in the systems they operate.
The Security Infrastructure team is tasked with maintaining and running both open source and proprietary tools which help ensure that infrastructure at Bloomberg stays secure.
An SRE at Bloomberg is a hybrid of systems and software engineering that is trusted to improve the stability and availability of the production environment through automation. They are responsible for monitoring, provisioning, configuration, orchestration, capacity management, deployment and rollback, incident management, and SDLC practices.
This is a great opportunity to join us as we start our SRE journey and help us succeed. You will have the opportunity to make a positive mark immediately and continuously as you work closely with other engineers.
We’ll trust you to:
- Apply your experience as an SRE to mentor the team to reinforce SRE concepts and best practices
- Engineer solutions to monitor the health, availability, and capacity of our environment and software using industry standard tools and practices
- Assist in architecting large-scale secure solutions for our teams’ products
- Define, measure, and achieve service level objectives as appropriate for the systems the team manages
- Use all your technical skills and experience to ensure the reliability of a diverse set of systems -with a diverse technology stack
- Collaborate with the engineering and product operations teams to find the very best solutions to their problems
- Using programmatic techniques thoroughly test all infrastructure and systems managed by the team to ensure that they work as expected.
Help expand the observability of these systems to improve their reliability
You'll need to have:
- Demonstrated experience in a relevant SRE role
- Experience with using configuration and orchestration software such as Chef, Ansible or SaltStack
- Demonstrated experience programming and testing Python, Go, or C++
- Experience working in a 24/7 production engineering organization
- Experience at the linux command line, including system-level debugging and networking
- Experience managing large scale infrastructure projects utilizing DevOps/SRE practices
- Ability to listen, communicate, evaluate, problem solve, multi-task, and prioritize in a high-pressure, mission-critical, and rewarding team environment
- Willingness to constantly learn and develop your skills and bring that knowledge back to the team
We'll love to see:
- Experience with Security monitoring tools such as osquery
- Experience in building CI/CD toolchains with tools such as Jenkins, Github, and Artifactory
- Deep understanding of metrics and monitoring ecosystem i.e. grafana, humio, distributed trace
- Deep expertise troubleshooting complex distributed systems
- Experience with creating and improving documented procedures and/or playbooks
- Experience with utilizing tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or Salt to fully build and manage complex infrastructure at scale.
- Deep understanding of TCP/IP and Unix networking
- Linux kernel level debugging and eBPF experience
- Knowledge of Linux or Windows internals
If this sounds like you, apply!
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.