Senior Software Engineer - Exchange Trading Connectivity - Frankfurt
Posted Sep 2, 2022 - Requisition No. 108213
Every day, the Bloomberg systems analyze, process, and execute trading on trillions of data points. As engineers, we’re building the applications our clients rely on to not just stay informed, but stay ahead of the market. The applications and infrastructure we build embody the speed, agility and financial data that make Bloomberg the go-to for financial professionals across the globe.
Exchange Trading Connectivity (ETC) is an engineering group in Bloomberg that acts as a center of excellence for facilitating the transactional connectivity of Bloomberg’s various order and execution management systems to trading venues. In Europe, we are strengthening Bloomberg’s position as a leader in many markets by providing connectivity to major exchanges and venues, while continuously pushing the boundaries with our involvement in new connectivity across the trade life cycle. This helps the team in Europe - as well as ETC as a whole - to grow in new technical and functional areas.
What's in it for you?
You'll have the opportunity to learn about the financial markets and take ownership of one of our industry-leading applications. You'll lead projects, partner with our Product team and meet internal clients to understand their needs and workflows. You’ll get a chance to get involved in all phases of the software development life cycle and make an immediate impact on some of the world’s toughest technical challenges. We are looking for passionate engineers who want to help us take our products to the next level!
We’ll trust you to:
- Take responsibility for the full software development life-cycle, from understanding the needs of the business through to coding (in C++), deployment and maintenance. Your work will be highly visible, making you highly accountable
- Enjoy solving complex problems: you will balance the best of your technical and product knowledge to craft outstanding solutions for our customers
- Be resourceful, flexible, and an excellent collaborator willing to engage with the wider community – from Inner Source to Open Source to our stakeholders
- We’re incredibly proud of our culture and collaboration sits at the centre of how we operate, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate across teams and locations on a global scale, both virtually and in person.
- Engineers at Bloomberg actively shape the direction of our technology and products, helping drive innovation in the financial markets.
- Frankfurt is one of 11 engineering hubs at Bloomberg, since being established in 2014 Frankfurt has enjoyed consistent growth, now with 140 employees and 70 in engineering, the office has become an integral part of Bloomberg's global tech communities and initiatives.
- Since 2021 we’ve been employing a hybrid work model, which gives our engineers flexibility but also allows us to foster team spirit and collaboration across teams.
- We’re big advocates of getting together and sharing ideas, our Frankfurt office holds regular internal and external tech, social and philanthropic events to strengthen our relationships with the local community.
- Our Frankfurt office is in the heart of the city, it's also newly refurbished, so for the days that you’re in the office you can enjoy state of the art facilities, which include a fully stocked pantry serving breakfasts and lunches.
Alongside a great culture, we also offer Frankfurt employees a comprehensive list of benefits, which include:
- 100% coverage on health insurance costs for employees and eligible family members
- 30+ days holiday per year
- Endless opportunities to participate in philanthropic events and charity days
- Sponsorship for continuous education and professional development
- Sponsorship to attend external events and global conferences
You'll need to have:
- An ambitious developer with 3-5 years of experience in one or more general purpose programming language (C++/Python/Java), who enjoys improving and maintaining critical functions and APIs
- Exposure to all phases of the software development life cycle
- An aptitude for analytical problem solving and critical thinking
- Appreciation for the quality of the code base and experience in knowing how to apply unit testing, integration testing and stress testing to produce reliable production software
- A team-player attitude; willingness and ability to collaborate with a diverse group of people from all over the world
- A strong sense of ownership; Humility and open-mindedness; willingness to acknowledge and learn from mistakes; desire to constantly improve oneself; openness to feedback
We'd love to see:
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented programming
- Experience with distributed systems: Kafka/Cassandra/Zookeeper/Redis
- An interest in building robust, scalable production systems and working with multithreaded applications
- Open to work with high volume, high availability distributed system and an understanding of its unique challenges
- Able to learn about and write asynchronous event-driven software using coroutines (Boost ASIO etc.)
- An interest in staying up to date with trends in the industry
- An interest in the financial markets
Interviewing with us:
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on.
The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here: https://www.bloomberg.com/careers/technology/engineering/software-engineering-experienced-hire
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com / or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility firstname.lastname@example.org.