Senior Software Engineer - MODA - (Frankfurt)
Posted Nov 2, 2022 - Requisition No. 111111
MODA deals with Market and Order Data and Analytics. We’re one of the few Application Infrastructure groups in Bloomberg — building real-time, reliable platforms at scale but also having close exposure to our clients in the finance world. Our ecosystem powers diverse trading applications such as the main trading UIs, Automation and Business Intelligence.
The MODA Middleware team builds the distributed infrastructure and APIs to accept, cache and deliver this data on an Enterprise scale: our key goals being reliability, flexibility and speed. We collaborate closely with our colleagues across Engineering and Product to understand their needs and develop powerful, intuitive APIs to publish or consume data, delivering millions of data points per second in real-time during peak flows. As an engineer in our team, you’ll be valued as an active collaborator and technical specialist, talking to our partners and contributing to the evolution of the product. You will benefit from a range of opportunities for developing your skills in distributed systems engineering and working with others.
We’ll trust you to:
- Take co-ownership over the full software development life-cycle, in particular actively seeking an understanding of our colleagues’ software stacks and requirements to enable value judgments on our technology decisions
- Enjoy solving complex problems independently and in partnership with others in a team setting
- Design, architect and develop libraries and software systems
- Write well-tested, robust, modern code in a Linux environment
You’ll need to have:
- Demonstrated software engineering skills and experience in developing production systems
- Experience with C++
- A self-starter attitude and capability for independent progress
- An aptitude and desire for learning
- A willingness to keep an open mind to balancing engineering trade-offs according to goals and outcomes
- A desire to learn about other teams to build useful software libraries and platforms
We’d love to see:
- Experience taking the initiative to collaborate across multiple teams
- Experience in working with distributed systems
- The ability to think and operate in abstract "big picture" terms without needing to know every detail
- We’re incredibly proud of our culture and collaboration sits at the centre of how we operate, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate across teams and locations on a global scale, both virtually and in person.
- Engineers at Bloomberg actively shape the direction of our technology and products, helping drive innovation in the financial markets.
- Frankfurt is one of 11 engineering hubs at Bloomberg, since being established in 2014 Frankfurt has enjoyed consistent growth, now with 140 employees and 70 in engineering, the office has become an integral part of Bloomberg's global tech communities and initiatives.
- Since 2021 we’ve been employing a hybrid work model, which gives our engineers flexibility but also allows us to foster team spirit and collaboration across teams.
- We’re big advocates of getting together and sharing ideas, our Frankfurt office holds regular internal and external tech, social and philanthropic events to strengthen our relationships with the local community.
- Our Frankfurt office is in the heart of the city, it's also newly refurbished, so for the days that you’re in the office you can enjoy state of the art facilities, which include a fully stocked pantry serving breakfasts and lunches.
Alongside a great culture, we also offer Frankfurt employees a comprehensive list of benefits, which include:
- 100% coverage on health insurance costs for employees and eligible family members
- 30+ days holiday per year
- Endless opportunities to participate in philanthropic events and charity days
- Sponsorship for continuous education and professional development
- Sponsorship to attend external events and global conferences
Interviewing with us
We believe interviewing is a two way street. It's a way for us to get to know you and your skills, and also a way for you to learn more about the team, our technical challenges, and what you'd be working on.
The content of each interview round will be tailored to the role and your background, but the general framework can be found here:
We want to ensure you can put your best foot forward throughout the process, so if you have any questions or need any accommodations to be successful, please let us know!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender identity or expression, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status, national or ethnic origin, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, parental or caring status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy or maternity/parental leave, protected veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email firstname.lastname@example.org / or our Diversity Partner EmployAbility email@example.com.